Thinking of upgrading the memory in my PB G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking of upgrading the memory in my 15" PG G4 1.5Ghz. I've noticed that multitasking in Tiger seriously strains the current 512MB that I currently have (I can only image a system with 256MB). I could easily afford either 1GB or 2GB but I'm wondering if its worth it to spend the extra $$$ for 2GB? Is the performance difference really worth the cost?

BTW I found good quality Kingston 1GB soDIMM's for $114 (w/ free shipping in the US)

Any opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    It all depends on what you use your PB for. If you use it for heavy multitasking, ie Adobe CS2 + iTunes + iChat + Mail + Safari, etc. then the more RAM you have in there the better. It all depends on what exactly you use it for and if you have the extra money then why not spend it? You know it will be faster then what you have now, and it certainly won't hurt you in the least, so my vote buy 2GB of RAM. Then sell the current 512MB stick and make some money back.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Yeah I'm a serious multitasker and I occasionally dabble in digital video so I'm gonna go with 2GB. Can't wait to get off work and go order it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    When I replaced my old 667 PB with the 1.5 version I ordered a gig stick to go with the 512 the PB was delivered with. Last month I ordered another gig stick (and will probably sell the 512 on ebay) in order to max out the system. Very pleased with the results and when I can afford it I'll move the G5 iMac at home from 1 to 2 gigs.