iMac g5 17" + iLugger = My POWERbook g5?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi esteemed appleInsiders and fellow lurkers (you know who y'all are)

so one thing with getting older is that i seem to be looking at this value for money thing.

for about the same cost as an iBook g4 1.33ghz 14" which was last updated in October 2004, i can get:

17" widescreen

powerpc 1.8ghz g5

512mb ram

160gb sata hard disk

ati radeon 9600 128mb

airport+bluetooth built in

what's not to love? portability? well my dad has an iBook g4 933mhz with 640mb ram, so if i need to pop down for some hot chocolate + wireless internet i'll grab the iBook and my parents can play with the iMac g5 at home.

then i found out about the iLugger** thing, and was like, well, one day or so a week, should i need to take it somewhere, or to uni/work, or from room to room, that's pretty much the ticket. of course not everyday.

don't get me wrong, technically, the iBook g4 as it stands is a decent machine for my needs. but, just doesn't seem worth it at all. given what we know about macs and product updates and all that, it just doesnt seem wise. particularly i think too that for the family situation a mix of imac g5 and iBook g4 offers a bit of flexibility and power.

heh as you can tell my mind is pretty made up and this is not so much request for purchasing advice but a confessional

i've just been recently offered to go from guest lecturing one subject a week at a design skool to two subjects a week, which should start to cover installment payments for the iMac g5, which would be quite directly used in producing income... and not f*k me up with more debt issues.

where i'm living right now there's a "PC-fair" dealie-o-thing happening early august which is where very likely the Mac dealers will represent with juicy deals, sometimes up to usd$200+ off listed Mac prices

which is just nice for getting up to speed with my own Mac (yay! finally!) in august and the new design skool term in september

thanks for indulging me, feel free to chime in with any thoughts, warnings, purchasing advice

re: fan noise issue: i think i'm ready to take my chances, where i'm living now theres pretty much always a ceiling fan, table fan, or air-conditioner whirring away 24/7/365... its what ya get when you are 3 degrees N of the equator

**iLugger

http://www.ilugger.com/