Dual-Booting Mac OS X and Windows XP Pro : Idea

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, so i thought to myself, i want kick ass hardware, that i can run Windows XP Pro for games like HalfLife2 and CounterStrikeSource which i havent played in quite a number of months.

i want to be able to fairly quickly switch over to Mac OS 10.4 to actually get stuff done and enjoy the Mac experience. i cant do Windows anymore, with the spyware, and this and i'm spoilt by good third-party mac software that i can't wade through all the crap utilities or play with all that rubbish that comes on the cdroms with those pc mags. really, i'd the windows xp side mainly for checking out what the scene is, and fun latest and retro games like wing commander 3 and 4

am i the only one considering getting the usd$1500 developer Macintel box?

($500 for select membership, $999 for the Macintel box)

since we know it will boot windows as well, this seems perfect. now the intel GMA900 is basically a rubbish GPU, early benchmarks on tomshardware show this. maybe i could put an nVidia 6600gt in there and windows will recognise it ? and on Macintel OS X it won't freak out that it is sitting there and just use the intel gma900 / silicon image thingamyjig??

i am not living in the US so i would have to see what the arrangement is on how long it will take to get the developer box to my doorstep, hopefully without any additional shipping charges.

reports indicate some good speeds on the Macintel OS 10.4 side, with the select membership one would get latest seeds of OS X with some(most iApps, maybe some iLife?) well steve demo'ed iPhoto Macintel so....

based on the hardware, except for the intel gpu, it's a pretty damn fast rig to run windows, and it has a dual-layer burner with 16x dvd-r writing.

soo.... am i way off base here? is anyone else thinking about this? i'm calling out for guidance and discussion, without soliciting anybody to break their NDAs with Apple developer connection...

what SOUND system do the developer boxes have? haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. i mean, hello, what is the output like for iTunes? i assume some integrated audio in the motherboard, but some specs pretty please? supports 48khz 24-bit ???

thanks for anything you can share. PM me if you're concerned about saying anything splashed out here on this post.

edit:

plus i also get a nice fuck-off g5 case for much lower than actually buying a powermac g5

edit2:

yes i understand i will basically be renting the system for approx usd($1500/18) = $200 usd a month, to the nearest hundred, since the machines must be returned to apple by end of december 2006.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Uh, that $999 is a rental. You don't get to keep the machine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I know people are reporting the fact that it can run windows but what i wonder about it how well the dual-booting works. Is it XP's dual boot stuff or is it Apples?

Anyway, 200 a mounth seems steep. Why not get a cheep wintel box and a KVM?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Uh, that $999 is a rental. You don't get to keep the machine.

yeah i know see edit1 above... that's why i said $200/month rental fee essentially.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I know people are reporting the fact that it can run windows but what i wonder about it how well the dual-booting works. Is it XP's dual boot stuff or is it Apples?......

yeah i understand the secrecy around the whole thing, the XP dual boot stuff, good point, no website has really mentioned how that really works.

apple has totally shut down almost all of the developer and rumor leaks. damn