Apple should license their OS again...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
... except not for Mac clones.

What they should do is sell limited licenses to other companies who want to make what Apple itself doesn't want to sell. Then maybe we'd get a tablet Mac or a 2 pound subnotebook. Not all good ideas come from Apple itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    This is not really Future Hardware related. Since you brought it up, what you're saying is like putting the camel's nose under the tent...soon the rest of the camel will be under the tent.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    It's related to a point. Apple's OS and hardware are so tightly bound together that when you talk about future hardware, either what's really coming up or what you wish they would offer, it has to involve the OS. For certain types of future hardware that Apple (or more specifically, Steve) isn't interested in, the only way to ever get them developed and sold might be to let other companies do it under license. Honestly, I don't see why it should be a slippery slope. How hard would it be for a license to specifically say, "Licensee may not develop, manufacture or sell notebook computers with internal optical drives or desktop computers running Mac OS X"?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

Not all good ideas come from Apple itself.

Don't let Steve hear you say that!

Apple will never (IMO) licence the Mac OS mainly because Apple believe they make the best software and the best hardware for that software....

Moving to Mac OS
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I could see this happening. Consider:

1) MacTel systems will allow consumers to directly compare the prices with WinTel systems.

2) Consequentially, there will be more pressure for Apple to either reduce prices and/or produce more exotic designs.

3) As a result, Apple's hardware margin drops and OS licensing becomes more attractive.

Rather than stylish sub-notebooks, I could see this happening to more commodity designs such as business desktops or educational machines. Why should Apple build low-profit eMacs and Minis? Outsource that work to Dell, who is good at it and makes money on volume.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

Apple will never (IMO) licence the Mac OS mainly because Apple believe they make the best software and the best hardware for that software....

History says differently, though. For the brief time when Apple licensed clones, those small companies were kicking Apple's fanny in terms of quality and innovation. I owned a Power Computing system. It was faster, cheaper and more versatile than Apple's own products at the time. That's probably part of the reason Apple had to stop the clone licensing. They were being shamed by these smaller, more agile companies.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Someone is going to bypass the hardware chip and get OSX running on their PC. Probably fairly quickly. Apple can allow makers to get OEM licenses and run a stable, supported version, have users come away with a good experience, and profit from it. On the other hand they can allow the geeks to download an unstable hacked versions, come away with a bad experience and portray that bad experience to those looking to switch while not making a cent in the process. Apple's let the genie out of the bottle here, they can't try to push it halfway back in. We're playing with a completely different set of rules than the 68k/PowerPC days.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Apple should sell DRM updates for $200. You put the CD in, it updates the DRM on your Intel chip to allow Mac OS X to install. This would cover the hardware margins that would be lost by not getting a Mac sale.

Companies could buy bulk licenses of this DRM update from Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    In an open market (with OSX as the operating system), Apple wouldn't fare that badly. A Pentium-M Mac Mini with a 64mb x300SE would blow shared graphics PCs out of the water. Sell packages at Best Buy, Target, and Walmart with a 15" Westinghouse LCD monitor, keyboard, and mouse for $100 over base and Apple would rolling in the dough. The Powerbooks are already highly praised despite being underpowered and the iBook range (with a 15.4" addition) with low end dedicated graphics can more than hold their own. Both the iMac (perfect 5.0) and G5 (4.5) earned the PC magazine editor's choice. In my opinion, Apple could be in a position to increase computer sales in addition to money generated from license fees. A few will not buy Apple desktops anymore, but those are mainly the ones who have gaming PCs on the side.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    onstageonstage Posts: 15member
    While there's no question that the seamless integration of OS and hardware is important to the "mac experience" I think that some form of OS only sales might really help Apple, especially when all the high-margin digital lifestyle gadgets they sell would work better talking to their native OS.

Imagine, a switcher with a great desktop PC can buy Mac OS 4.XX for x86 instead of windows XP.xxx for his next upgrade. Then maybe he'll really want the whole enchilada next time around after that and buy a mac desktop. Point is he could switch laterally into the cycle, rather than having to put a whole lot in up front. (or downgrade to a mini and prehaps be dissapointed)

my .02 I'm getting alot of people to go mac, this would only help me out!

john
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I'd say that the best thing Apple could do in the Enterprise space would be to license OS X Server.

I say this for for all kinds of reasons.

Apple makes nearly all the software for it anyway and OS X is very portable to different CPU architectures.

They really don't sell a whole lot of Xserves, Va. Tech and others notwithstanding.

Even then Xserves are often quite a good deal, especially in the scientific arena if they remain a G5 system, which they probably will at least until the very end of the Intel transition. By then we can hope that either Intel pulls their server chips together, or Apple starts using AMD's Operton which is quite similar to the G5 in performance in the same factors that makes scientific applications like it.

Xserve RAID is a great deal, note Oracle's use of it.

Some of Apple's other enterprise software, Xsan especially, is also fantastic.

If Dell (HP, and others) are pushing OS X Server, and they probably would, suddenly all those entrenched anti-Mac OS guys in the mid level corporate network admin/support people world have to actually take a look at OS X, and that's a huge factor in shifting companies to even partial Mac use since those same people are often the ones able to prevent Mac use.

This also lets companies like Dell sell server stuff to the Feds and corporations, something that Apple really isn't that good at doing. Apple could probably cut a deal with a couple of them to resell their stuff to specific areas, letting Dell say sell OS X Server on whatever servers to the feds, plus Apple hardware for the complete solution.

I can't see Apple actually licensing OS X consumer in the near to mid future for all kinds of reasons (hardware sales still do too good at Apple, Steve Jobs, fiasco of last clones, having to support the same huge variety of hardware that Microsoft can't keep up with despite dozens of times the resources, etc.) but OS X Server is a nice alternative to Server 2003 and the various Linux flavours.

I had previously supported the same limited cloning idea, but only when it looked like Apple might choose to use the Cell. The limited number of companies that would probably make computers using the Cell; i.e. Sony and Toshiba, would prevent that spiraling out of control bit.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by onstage

While there's no question that the seamless integration of OS and hardware is important to the "mac experience" I think that some form of OS only sales might really help Apple, especially when all the high-margin digital lifestyle gadgets they sell would work better talking to their native OS.

Imagine, a switcher with a great desktop PC can buy Mac OS 4.XX for x86 instead of windows XP.xxx for his next upgrade. Then maybe he'll really want the whole enchilada next time around after that and buy a mac desktop. Point is he could switch laterally into the cycle, rather than having to put a whole lot in up front. (or downgrade to a mini and prehaps be dissapointed)

my .02 I'm getting alot of people to go mac, this would only help me out!

john

Why the heck would ANYONE be stupid enough to buy a Mac when they can run Mac OS X on a PC box?

Use your head, man. There is no experience past Mac OS X, as long as you have Firewire ports.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    onstageonstage Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Why the heck would ANYONE be stupid enough to buy a Mac when they can run Mac OS X on a PC box?

Use your head, man. There is no experience past Mac OS X, as long as you have Firewire ports.

Easy man! No need to be hasty. I LIKE the industrial design of mac products. I might build myself a desktop i didn't have to look at ... but a notebook, now that's another question! For me, and alot of other mac users the quality of actually looking at/interacting with the computer is important. in fact I've "sold" several friends on switching solely becaase the macs are pretty. (they've thanked me again after they realize how good OS X is)

my .02

john
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

1. Something different than an ATX case.

2. Elegant design.

3. Top quality.

Oh wait, that is why people buy Apple computers now.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    again? When did it first... BTW: I have been a Mac Fan since Panther... so I don't know the history.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

again? When did it first... BTW: I have been a Mac Fan since Panther... so I don't know the history.

Apple allowed Mac-compatibles back in the mid-1990s. Such companies as Motorola, UMAX, and Power Computing sold them. They were not really clones because they all used Apple-supplied Toolbox ROMs.

You hear people raking Jobs over the coals for "killing the clones." Apple allowed Mac-compatibles because they were supposed to penetrate markets that Apple could not. The "clones" were supposed to be part of a larger strategy to increase the marketshare of the MacOS. However, they chose to compete with Apple for its customers rather than compete with Compaq and Gateway for their customers. In one of the unkindest cuts, Motorola, manufacturer of the PPC and seller of the Star Max Mac-compatible, mandated that all of its operations use Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Apple made a lot of mistakes back then. They denied licenses to the big computers and granted them to companies who had never made a computer before. The main ones in the U.S. included a startup from Texas (Power Computing), a scanner maker (Umax), and a corporate conglomerate who didn't have a computer division before. Gateway wanted to sell Macs, but was denied.

Apple didn't differentiate its product line from the PC makers, and most of their systems were overpriced and under specced. When the clones came in with better systems at a lower price and up to date business practices such as built to order systems, Apple was in real trouble.

However, the Apple of Steve Jobs is a very different company than the Apple of Gil Amelio. You didn't see the innovative hardware or software back then, only bean counters crunching the numbers.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

1. Something different than an ATX case.

2. Elegant design.

3. Top quality.

Oh wait, that is why people buy Apple computers now.

Sorry, but I, and the other people I know who use OS X, don't buy their Macs for having a pretty little white box.