iBook or iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone!

I'm new here, and this site looks awesome, im definitly going to stick around.

Okay, Well for Christmas, my mom promised me a Mac, i was going twords the iMac G5 (17" 1,299). Well, last year they updated the iBook in october...and it would be a help if i got a laptop, becuase i travel a lot--not like monthly, but a lot. But then again, i am at home a lot, too. and they should be updating the iBook again this year, in oct. beacuse they usually update every year or so--but apple is switching to intel chips--and the ibook and powerbook are likely to get updated soon, so do you think they are going to update the iBook before christmas, or in 2006 with Intel Processers? and if they dont, should I get the iBook G4 for christmas, or the iMac G5? and if they do update the iBook, what do you think they will update it for? Intel Processers? More GHz? When Exactly or Approxmently do you think they will update the iBook?

( I was thinking about getting the 14" iBook $1299)

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Well wait for your decision till Paris expo 20th september. Then see what Apple updated and ask your question again.

Christmas is so far away. 5 months, anything can happen. So wait.

I would get the iMac, but that is me. If you need portability for work get iBook. If it's just to have a laptop on holiday get iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xxhhwhitexx

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, and this site looks awesome, im definitly going to stick around.

Okay, Well for Christmas, my mom promised me a Mac, i was going twords the iMac G5 (17" 1,299). Well, last year they updated the iBook in october...and it would be a help if i got a laptop, becuase i travel a lot--not like monthly, but a lot. But then again, i am at home a lot, too. and they should be updating the iBook again this year, in oct. beacuse they usually update every year or so--but apple is switching to intel chips--and the ibook and powerbook are likely to get updated soon, so do you think they are going to update the iBook before christmas, or in 2006 with Intel Processers? and if they dont, should I get the iBook G4 for christmas, or the iMac G5? and if they do update the iBook, what do you think they will update it for? Intel Processers? More GHz? When Exactly or Approxmently do you think they will update the iBook?

( I was thinking about getting the 14" iBook $1299)

Thanks.

if they update the iBook before christmas i think that will be cool to get the 14".

if you can't wait 'till they update the iBook, and you want an iMac g5 17" now. (i sooooo want one now), get the iMac g5 17" 1.8ghz and this little baby to make it your g5 powerbook:

http://www.ilugger.com

• Reply 3 of 4
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I'd wait until closer to Christmas to see what Apple is offering at that time - there might be an update of the iBook range or even an update to the iMac range.

We have both at home (and I use a PB at work) and both are great computers. My wife uses the 12" iBook more than the iMac because she can use it in the kitchen or in bed while watching TV. I prefer the 20" iMac as I love a large screen - my PB at work is hooked up to a 23" display.

The iMac will be faster - especially if you bump up the RAM - and I find it far better when working on old family pics or digital movies we've taken of the grandkids.

Give a lot of thought to how you will use it and especially the things you might do with it that you don't do with a PC.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    well.. im happy w/ my imac G5 20".. and w/ them updated, they're better i would go w/ the iMac, you get more for roughly the same price of an ibook... thats what i would do... w/ the imac, you get more space, more memory, and faster processor unless you spec up the ibook which will run about the same price as an iMac