PB: 1.2g RAM / 64mb VRAM vs. 2g RAM / 128mb VRAM - worth it for me?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a powerbook. I'm kind of taken with the 12", but the 2g RAM and 128mb VRAM of the 15" are very tempting, especially since I am planning on using this machine for awhile.

Now the most demanding application I will be using will most likely be Logic 7 Express (maybe Pro at some point). Other than that, office applications and such. Will I notice a big difference with the extra RAM and VRAM? Is it going to improve the performance so significantly that it's worth the extra $$$ and bulk?

I love the portability of the small one, but would hate to regret choosing that later because I need more memory for my software applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Personally I love the 15" PB. I just think the 12" is too small to be useful as a "real" computer. If you are into digital audio I suggest you get a 15" PB with 2GB of ram; I just recently upgraded from 512MB to 2GB and it makes a world of difference when running Tiger and multitasking. My PowerBook has 64MB of VRAM and I'm very happy with it. If your primary task is audio production, then you don't really need gobs of VRAM so I'd say 64MB is fine. On the other hand, if you have the money and plan to keep your 'Book for a while, go for it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks for the input. I kinda figured I probably wouldn't need all that video ram for music stuff...

As far as RAM goes, would the step up from 1.2gigs to 2 gigs make a huge difference for me?

As far as the screen size goes, I have a big flat screen at home, so that's not a factor to me, really. The only thing that would make me want to go with the 15" is if my performance is going to be significantly improved with the extra RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I wouldn't say the performance gain is gonna be THAT significant unless you are a real power user. If you have an external monitor and want extreme portability, go with the 12". As a matter of fact I have an external monitor that I use with my 15"...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Before getting the 12", be aware that it may sound like a hair dryer when connected to an external monitor. I was so disappointed that I recently replaced my rev D 12" with a 15".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Taustin Powers

Thanks for the input. I kinda figured I probably wouldn't need all that video ram for music stuff...

As far as RAM goes, would the step up from 1.2gigs to 2 gigs make a huge difference for me?

As far as the screen size goes, I have a big flat screen at home, so that's not a factor to me, really. The only thing that would make me want to go with the 15" is if my performance is going to be significantly improved with the extra RAM.

how about start out with the 15", it comes with 512mb of ram. then maybe get a 1gb stick? that way you have 1.5gb all up, nice.

since you'll be running logic you'd wanna make use of screen real estate with your powerbook screen and your external big flat screen. i would recommend the 128mb vram so that your mutiple-screen running and all that is all sweet. 128mb vram will also allow you to do some crazy dual-dvi or something (sorry, brain no working so good rite now) with the 30-inch apple cinema displays

while audio is audio, i found that working in reason and ableton live, screen real estate and fast screen response is important to keep track (pun not intended but hey it works!) of all your tracks, switches, fx, midi notations, automations, etc.

i think the 12" is a bit too hot, cramped, and less flexible in terms of swapping out ram than the 15"

if you start doing some live stuff taking your 15" out to gigs will be handy, again for the display to keep track of samples, timing, loops, etc etc

anyone see the 'rockpalast' prodigy video clip? the keyboardist had like 5 or more keyboards/samplers on two pretty big racks, and then another TWO powerbooks in front of him. wild stuff.

• Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

how about start out with the 15", it comes with 512mb of ram. then maybe get a 1gb stick? that way you have 1.5gb all up, nice.

If you do this make sure that you specify that you want a single 512 stick rather than 2x 256 sticks (which is how it comes by default).