Need for .htaccess and AAC (.m4a) problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well my hosting domain (Godaddy.com) seems to think that a .m4a extention is text or something, because whenever I upload an AAC file to it, and click on the link I get a million lines of jarbled text. I emailed them, thinking they might have a solution to the problem, but they don't and suggested that I change the MIME (I don't know what that means) around to let my site know that is an audio file. They suggested I mess around with the .htaccess file... but when I log into my website via Transmit, I don't see it, all that I have is a cgi folder that is empty but a few files inlcuding a copy of a page (Why's that) and a gdform.cgi file... but no .htaccess file.

I tried creating a .htaccess file (saving nothing in Text Wrangler) but it won't let me save it as simply a .htaccess I have to have something in front of the "."

So, in order to host iTunes music and other enhaced podcasting stuff on my own account (Without having to go to someone else - last resort) what do you suggest I do? If I really do need to change the MIME stuff in the .htaccess file, how do I do that, and what is it that I need to change/add?

As always, your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Well... the internet gods have been nice to me, because after tweaking around some things, the AAC file doesn't get downloaded - I still have the jarbled text... but iTunes picks it up as an audio. I suppose you just have to save the target. That'll do though!

If anyone still has any ideas on what would make this easier for just clicking and downloading, please let me know though.

Thanks.