Dirty line through menu bar

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all, I recently upgraded to 10.4.2 there now seems to be a thin dirty grey line through the middle of the menu bar at the top of the screen. I am sure it wasn't there before, is this the OS or is something wrong with my screen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Does the line still appear over widgets moved into that area in Dashboard?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quick way to check hardware vs. software: take a screenshot. Cmd-Shift-3, a Picture.png will show up on your Desktop. Open it in Preview. If the line is visible in there, then it's a software issue (or, given a very bizarre circumstance, a hardware issue in the video card). If not, then it's your display.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
  • Reply 4 of 14
    matracermatracer Posts: 91member
    Thats it, thats the line, exactly. Is everyones line like that? I am not sure that I like it, much prefered the clean look of the old menu bar.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I have it too. But mine is the bottom half of the menu bar. Doesn't bother me.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The new look > the old look. Although I think the drop-down menus and highlighted items should have the same theme.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    i never noticed it before but i have it too. I don;t really mind it
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I installed smoothstripes in the end and the line has gone now. Smoothstripes can be found here:

http://www.maxthemes.com/themes/?theme=SmoothStripes

All other tiger gloss features appear to have been unaltered.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I don't like that line. I think it subtly affects legibility. Very un-Apple. Though Aqua is slooowly moving in the right direction. Remember 10.0? What a horrible bunch of crap Aqua was. It's slowly...looking more like OS 9. Sensible. Gone are those stupid 3D buttons, menus so translucent and loaded with pinstripes you couldn't read the damn things, same with the menu bar, stupid looking buttons, slow sheets, etc. OS X is turning back in to Platinum, with a nice blue color scheme. I always liked French Blue, wouldn't that be a nice option. I long thought they should have more options, like System 7 and even in the Appearance manager from OS 9, they should have 10 or 15 preset color schemes, and then a Color Picker, instead of just frickin' Aqua and Graphite. That way it would let you personalize just a little bit, but the UI would be the same. Aqua/Spotlight Blue is getting old. It's just a bit too bright and garish.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

I don't like that line. I think it subtly affects legibility. Very un-Apple. Though Aqua is slooowly moving in the right direction. Remember 10.0? What a horrible bunch of crap Aqua was. It's slowly...looking more like OS 9. Sensible. Gone are those stupid 3D buttons, menus so translucent and loaded with pinstripes you couldn't read the damn things, same with the menu bar, stupid looking buttons, slow sheets, etc. OS X is turning back in to Platinum, with a nice blue color scheme. I always liked French Blue, wouldn't that be a nice option. I long thought they should have more options, like System 7 and even in the Appearance manager from OS 9, they should have 10 or 15 preset color schemes, and then a Color Picker, instead of just frickin' Aqua and Graphite. That way it would let you personalize just a little bit, but the UI would be the same. Aqua/Spotlight Blue is getting old. It's just a bit too bright and garish.

I agree about aqua, i prefer graphite because it's a little more elegant. Would be great if Apple would release more themes.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    hmm no no don't call them themes! I mean sure that would be nice too, but let's settle for different color....Schemes? Hehe. Yeah that's sort of a Kaleidoscope pun.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    eekles77eekles77 Posts: 58member
    It only appears as a dirty line really. It is actually made to look shiny and more metallic, that is just how it is done on a computer, you'll see this style at many websites. I think it looks great, unless you really look at it closely and think of it as a dirty line
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It looks like a dirty line.

Of course it doesn't help that my display is horridly dirty too. \
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The line is almost invisible, appearing more like a gradient, when a monitor is properly calibrated.

Switching between color profiles in system preferences can make it appear and disappear.