get your us$50 iBook 12" here

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
no, not spam, henrico county is dumping their iBooks for dells. whatever. anybody want a 12" 320(wtf?)mb for $50??

http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/

"A unique opportunity is available from Henrico County Public Schools. Used Apple iBook laptop computers will be on sale for $50 each, with a one-per-person limit. The one-day sale will be held Tuesday, Aug. 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

One thousand laptops will be sold at the school warehouse ? 361 Dabbs House Road beside the Eastern Government Center ? on a first-come, first-serve basis. Only cash or checks will be accepted.

The white, Power PC 750s with 12-inch screens have 320 megabytes of memory, Mac OS 10.2.8, and AppleWorks 6.2.9.

From Interstate 64, take exit 193B. Travel east on Nine Mile Road and turn left at the second stoplight on Dabbs House Road. The warehouse is on the right."

i am checking out the spec sheet download right now...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    oh okay, i get it. here are tha specs:

iBook g3

500mhz

320mb ram

12"

10gb hard disk

ac charger

"wireless card"

operating system: 10.2.8

basic standard apps with appleworks 6.2.9

no wonder they're geting dell's
  • Reply 2 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

oh okay, i get it. here are tha specs:

iBook g3

500mhz

320mb ram

12"

10gb hard disk

ac charger

"wireless card"

operating system: 10.2.8

basic standard apps with appleworks 6.2.9

no wonder they're geting dell's

Maybe they arent worth $50

how would such a unit handle tiger (this would be soly for portable use, no need for crazy shit like Dashboard) I would use this for word and checking email via wifi
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Maybe they arent worth $50

how would such a unit handle tiger (this would be soly for portable use, no need for crazy shit like Dashboard) I would use this for word and checking email via wifi

it meets all the system requirements for Tiger \

so... i dunno... they never specified what sort of optical drive it comes with whether cd, dvd, or combo

edit:

i reckon it be fun to mess with and mod the crap out of it

faster bigger hard disk, up the ram to 576mb, um...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hmmm...my brother's in Virginia, but unfortunately not close to Richmond. I doubt he'll drive 2 hours out of his way to pick up a $50 laptop.

Then again...he might be interested in one for himself...even though he's a PC guy.

Too bad you can't mail order one.

BTW, could this thing run say, Jaguar with reasonable speed? Or is that pretty much the same as Tiger?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Wow, thanks for the link sunilraman.

My sister has been planning on getting an iBook for the family so that they'll stop using her 15" PB.

I just emailed her - they live 36 miles from there!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    no worries cake...

satchmo, you know, with apple OS's, tiger would probably run faster than jaguar on that machine, believe it or not. just try not to use any dashboard widgets and i think it will be quite tolerable. i have not personally tried it with a g3 though so, i could be just talking out my a55.