23" iMac?

thttht
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think I've convinced myself that a 23" iMac is a viable product for $2k when Apple switches them to Intel CPUs. What say you?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by THT

    I think I've convinced myself that a 23" iMac is a viable product for $2k when Apple switches them to Intel CPUs. What say you?



    I say yes, even before the switch. See my reply to your post in the other thread.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    With LCD dropping in price I see a 23" iMac as a very nice computer with a Yonah or Sossamon SMP config.



    Hell I'm now looking at $349.00 19" LCDs for a potential Mac Mini purchase. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Sweet indeed.



    want one already!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 904member
    I have a 23" hooked up to my PB at the office and it is great. THe 20" iMac at home, however, is very close in terms of general use so the 23" iMac would have to be fairly close in price to generate a strong demand. The 20" iMac is pretty awesome in itself!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    It is obvious that releasing a 23" iMac at the same CPU speed as the current models, would help to limit the heat problems that the users of the 17" and 20" models report. The difficulty is the 23" panel price. Let us hope that the first G4 20" iMac history repeats itself in the not so distant future .
  • Reply 6 of 10
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    We won't see a 23 or 24 iMac for some time, mainly due to the following:



    1. Cost of 23 and 24 panels, and;

    2. Size and weight issues.



    Now, we may see one in the future, but not anytime soon. So don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Robin Hood

    2. Size and weight issues.





    Size and weight would certainly be an issue with the old helianthus design of the G4 iMac, but not with the current one. I don't see a problem other than cost. And don't tell me who needs such a big display in his home, since if it is cheep people will buy it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    With LCD dropping in price I see a 23" iMac as a very nice computer with a Yonah or Sossamon SMP config.



    Hell I'm now looking at $349.00 19" LCDs for a potential Mac Mini purchase. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.




    don't buy the 19".



    watch slickdeals.net, just picked up a new Dell 20.1" 2005FPW widescreen for $359 (SHIPPED!). 2 months ago, got the same one for $429 shipped using the coupons from the same site. Never go back to square monitors again...



    SO for pretty much the same price as the Apple version of the monitor, I got TWO! ahahahah. Ok, no fancy aluminum case but am I crying? LOL.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PB

    Size and weight would certainly be an issue with the old helianthus design of the G4 iMac, but not with the current one. I don't see a problem other than cost. And don't tell me who needs such a big display in his home, since if it is cheep people will buy it.



    Boy, am I dumb! "helianthus" is the exact right way to describe the iMac G4 flatpanel design. I'm using it from now on... Oh, yeah, the best damn design ever has been discontinued in place of a Slab on a stick.....\
  • Reply 10 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Cubit

    Boy, am I dumb! "helianthus" is the exact right way to describe the iMac G4 flatpanel design. I'm using it from now on...





    You don't look dumb at all to me. What happened?



    Quote:



    Oh, yeah, the best damn design ever has been discontinued in place of a Slab on a stick.....\




    I think this design is near perfect, both aesthetically and ergonomically. I cannot think of anything that can top it.



    The big downside is that it ups considerably the cost and makes service and repairs a tough exercise.
Sign In or Register to comment.