Itunes 4.9:not enough memory

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all, tried to open itunes today, it would not open. An error message appeared saying the machine had not enough memory. I have 768mb (imac G5). I read somewhere that the playlists can use up a lot of memory. How can I get Itunes to open again? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by matracer

Hi all, tried to open itunes today, it would not open. An error message appeared saying the machine had not enough memory. I have 768mb (imac G5). I read somewhere that the playlists can use up a lot of memory. How can I get Itunes to open again? Any help much appreciated.

Do you have an almost-full hard drive? That could be it - no room for the Virtual Memory to work.

If that's not it, open Activity Monitor to see what is taking up memory.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    matracermatracer Posts: 91member
    HD has 113gb free. Itunes info showes 32mb (in act.monitor it reaches 20mb then quits with error messages. System memory as follows:

wired 89.86 mb

active 95.82 mb

inactive 190.58 mb

used 375.84 mb

free 392.16mb

vm size 4.81gb

does sthis help?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    so far i have restarted machine, repaired permissions, emptied dashboard, reinstalled 4.9, emptied dock and closed down all programs but still same message.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    SORTED!!!! I trashed iTunes emptied the iTunes entries in /library/receipts and reinstalled. all works fine again. I have no idea what was causing the memory error message...wierd\
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by matracer

SORTED!!!! I trashed iTunes emptied the iTunes entries in /library/receipts and reinstalled. all works fine again. I have no idea what was causing the memory error message...wierd\

That's indeed a head-scratcher.