G5 Laptops?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone who has some info on the Apple G5 laptops.... more like "when might we see them be available.. if at all" would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I tried my Magic 8-Ball and when I asked the question it gave me a kernel error... \
  • Reply 2 of 9
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I'm guessing the odds we'll ever see a G5 (970) laptop are somewhere between "none" and "not on your life". The next big update is going to be the switch to Intel, sometime next year - maybe even in January. But moving to a 2-ish GHz Pentium M, maybe even dual-cored, is going to be one heck of a performance bump. It will almost certainly be much more impressive than a low-power G5 would have been. I suspect Apple is much more interested in moving the Intel transition up than wasting time and effort to produce PB G5's that would be on the market for a year or less.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thanks. I just read some other posts as well... sounds like intel PB's will be the next move. I guess I'll hold out for one of those.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

I tried my Magic 8-Ball and when I asked the question it gave me a kernel error... \

Really? I tried my magic 8-ball and it said "ask after lunch".
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by BEatMaKeR

Anyone who has some info on the Apple G5 laptops.... more like "when might we see them be available.. if at all" would be very helpful.

Thanks.

your never oging to see a G5 laptop.. the x86's are going to be a lot better as well as cheaper (at least suppose to be). The only way you'll get a G5 laptop is if you buy the G4 laptops and spec it up to a G5 laptop... wont be perfect or the same as or simliar to a G5... but the specs can be there... if done right and what not...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Any ideas as to when we might see these new X86 laptops be available to the public? Early or mid 2006 perhaps? Can we expect comparable performance to at least a 1.6ghz G5 with these new intel X86 laptops (i.e.doing photoshop and illustrator work)?

Any what about the existing G4 laptops... will they be extinct and unusable after the Apple switch to intel happens? Or even worth getting now because of the switch over?

The way i see it. If there is a major time lape between now and the time we'll see laptops available... then getting one now seams like not a bad idea (unless they'll be antiques by next years new models).
  • Reply 7 of 9
    When will they be available? Your guess is as good as the next. As far as performance, I think they will outperform any PPC 970ish "Powerbook G5" that might have existed in the same time frame.

As for the current G4 laptops, they will neither be extinct or unusable after the transition. Thanks to dual binaries and technologies like Rosetta, G4's and G5's will still be up and running for quite a while. I do think that once Apple rolls out Intel based laptops, they will stop building PPC versions of what is intro'ed...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Thanks Op. I will hold off buying one until the 1st gen Intel Mac's come out.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    opuscroakus,

lol!