Something really funky with my G3

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As of lately, I keep getting this weird error screen on my Powermac G3 (running OS 10.1.5). Here's a somewhat blury pic from my digital camera:

when this pops up, my keyboard locks up so I can't type 'c' to continue or 'r' to reboot.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    That is something in the kernel that is acting up.

Try repairing the disk in single user mode

http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/07-2002/07-31.ws

Otherwise it is perhaps time to (re)install the OS.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frezal

As of lately, I keep getting this weird error screen on my Powermac G3 (running OS 10.1.5). Here's a somewhat blury pic from my digital camera:

when this pops up, my keyboard locks up so I can't type 'c' to continue or 'r' to reboot.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

That is a kernel panic. Usually caused by hardware, added USB or FireWire things, or loose or bad RAM modules. Usual deal is to unplug anything that you added in the USB or FireWire category, check RAM to make sure it is seated, etc.

10.1.5 could use an update too - it wasn't exactly stable. On that G3 you will see a big speedup if you jump right to Panther, skipping Jaguar.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    frezalfrezal Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

That is a kernel panic. Usually caused by hardware, added USB or FireWire things, or loose or bad RAM modules. Usual deal is to unplug anything that you added in the USB or FireWire category, check RAM to make sure it is seated, etc.

10.1.5 could use an update too - it wasn't exactly stable. On that G3 you will see a big speedup if you jump right to Panther, skipping Jaguar.

Speaking of USB, my Apple Keyboard and optical mouse keep acting weird. My mouse often freezes and skips around. my keyboard does some freezing too. Is my keyboard dying?

I have an Apple Pro Keyboard and optical mouse (the black ones).

I've been meaning to update my OS for a while now, but I can't really afford anything. Do you know where to get Jaquar for real cheap ($50 or lower)?