airport extreme reduces connection speed

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all, Have noticed for some time that my download time has become very slow. So yesterday thought I would run some speed tests. My ISP Service is 1mb. the speed test (about 20-30 various sites) at best shows 768kb at worst 222kb.

I checked the service with my ISP, they said all ok nothing wrong with my servic, in fact they said all power levels checked out great.

So I connected ethernet directly to back of imac ( taking airport out of the equation) now all speed tests show 956kb or thereabouts. I swapped back onto airport and tried tests again. Speeds were timed at 400-600kb!!!

I have recently upgraded to 10.4 and now 10.4.2. Is this a software problem or is something wrong with my Airport express BS / extreme card? I cant think it is the hardward as previously, internet speeds have been fine.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    What computer are you using? What is the physical relationship between you mac and your APE? Any obstacles that might interfere? If you've got a PowerMac, you have to attach the antenna manually. If you've got a PB or iBook, sometimes altering the orientation of both the machine and the APE will help.

--B

EDIT: I see you have an imac...forget about the antenna, then. Try different heights and positions, is all I can say. Works with my AP Express.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    matracermatracer Posts: 91member
    thanks for the reply, My APE is right under the desk. I don't remember when I first noticed the slow down in connection speed but Im wondering if the latest airport update might have something to do with it?! APE seems to take a big chunk out of my bandwith.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by matracer

thanks for the reply, My APE is right under the desk. I don't remember when I first noticed the slow down in connection speed but Im wondering if the latest airport update might have something to do with it?! APE seems to take a big chunk out of my bandwith.

I saw somewhere that APs can in fact be TOO close. Try putting it at 10 feet (3 meters) or more and see what that gives you.

--B