What Happened to Macromedia?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What, no mention of Macromedia Dreamweaver, Flash or Fireworks for OS X? I am surprised and there does not appear to be a public timeline for these products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Macromedia's own Web World conference is January 15 -18 in SF. I would think they prefer to do their own announcements [if they have any].
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I thought this was odd too. Hope to hear from them at their own conference-- that's good info and I'm hopeful. But not only am I surprised about no announcement, I'm surprised nobody is jumping all over them. I haven't gotten across the Bay yet; is Macromedia displaying at all?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: danaus plexippus ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    I've emailed macromedia 3 times about X versions of director, dreamweaver and flash. Finally someone from customer services with appaling spelling sends me the following:

". . . Thank you for contacting Macromedia Customer Services.

With regard to your email of Date: 08 January 2002 unfortunally at the

moment is not proyected to release new version of our program in that

operating system.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards. . ."

where indeed are macromedia? And have you noriced how their manuals are becoming more PC and the fact that they are cosying director and flash very closely with 3D studio MAX (not and never will be available on OS X)?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    On a mail list that I subscribe too, John Dowdell (sp?) of Macromedia said something along the lines of "the development cycle for Dreamweaver has been a little longer than usual this time..."

Now... considering that Macromedia has *consistantly* announced in late fall and then released in winter (jan-feb/march)...

Edit for punctuation.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: BerberCarpet ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    You would have thought that both Adobe and Macromedia would have seen the crossover to OS X as an opportunity to steal market share, and yet both have failed miserably to take any kind of advantage.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Exactly the thing I was thinking, Belle. It's weird, like they're both asleep at the wheel. Don't they have meetings and talk about where to allocate their energy and resources? Now would be a great time for one of them to establish one of their programs against the competition, as the OSX standard.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I won't consider buying the OS X updates for Dreamweaver or Fireworks untill I've paid off my new iMac, but I'd still like to know what they are doing. They did Freehand but now it's almost like they are willing to have Adobe increase their Mac market share. The only major Adobe application not carbonized is Photoshop (Elements). Correct?