Internet connection speed using Cube and Airport

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Currently what is available from roadrunner is 5.0 and I am able to get 2.5 could this be because my Cube only uses 802.11b card or is it because of the cable provider, I have checked their speeds and other folks in my area code are reporting 7.5 for premium, and 4.5 for regular cable.

Anyone here know have the same problems, and what can I do about it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Currently what is available from roadrunner is 5.0 and I am able to get 2.5 could this be because my Cube only uses 802.11b card or is it because of the cable provider, I have checked their speeds and other folks in my area code are reporting 7.5 for premium, and 4.5 for regular cable.

Anyone here know have the same problems, and what can I do about it?

To follow up, the folks at RoadRunner told me to expect between 50 to 60% of the advertised speed (5.0Mbps), so my system getting 2.6Mbps was right in that range. I had read that there were folks here that had reported getting 4.0Mbps to 4.5Mbps, but they must have the Premium connection which is supposed to be 8.0Mbps. 4.4Mbps is the average reported speed which is right in the middle of 50 to 60%, or 4.0Mbps to 4.8Mbps. Just looking to add the Xbox360 when it is available to my wireless network, I think that I may go 10/100 hub to Airport extreme since I will be getting both PS3 and Xbox360, and I will never be using them at the same time, nor will I have them both powered up at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My kids told me that their response time was much bettter having a straight thru connection instead of wireless. We had an airport express connected to either the xbox or PS2. I ended up running a new cable from our switch to a hub by the TV. If you are playing games for an extended time that might be the way to go.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 3
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

My kids told me that their response time was much bettter having a straight thru connection instead of wireless. We had an airport express connected to either the xbox or PS2. I ended up running a new cable from our switch to a hub by the TV. If you are playing games for an extended time that might be the way to go.

reg

I was afraid of that. The second floor of my condo is a great centrally located place for the internet to branch out from. I guess I'll see how my game play goes, your kids my have much faster reflexes or my be playing more intense games.