Can Automator help with printing multiple Word files at once?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I would like to be able to print multiple MS Word files without opening all of them individually and then printing each one separately.

Is this possible? And if so, is it something that Automator would enable me to do?

Is there perhaps another way for me to do this without Automator? Again, I want to select about 15 Word documents, and with one click and without opening them, print all of them at once.

I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I have an automator file that will do that, but it will open them up in word. Now if you convert all your word documents to PDF first then it will print them all without opening them or prompting you to print. In case you're interested here to try it if you'd like.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by unknownlegend

I would like to be able to print multiple MS Word files without opening all of them individually and then printing each one separately.

Is this possible? And if so, is it something that Automator would enable me to do?

Is there perhaps another way for me to do this without Automator? Again, I want to select about 15 Word documents, and with one click and without opening them, print all of them at once.

I would appreciate any help.

There are two ways to do this without AppleScript, Automator, or anything that requires even a minimum of thinking. Select the files that you want to print. Within the Finder, chose the File > Print menu selection. Alternatively, select the files that you want to print. Drag them to your Desktop Printer.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

There are two ways to do this without AppleScript, Automator, or anything that requires even a minimum of thinking. Select the files that you want to print. Within the Finder, chose the File > Print menu selection.

Is this a 10.4 thing? My 10.3 Finder doesn't have a File>Print menu item.
    Quote:

Alternatively, select the files that you want to print. Drag them to your Desktop Printer.

This works great - you can even drag them onto the Dock icon or Finder sidebar icon of your printer - but there are limitations. It only works with native OSX file types, which includes PDF, RTF and text files, and not much else. Other document types will first open in their creator application, and then print.* HTML files print as plain text, not as a rendered web page. But all-in-all, drag-and-drop printing is pretty cool.

* It has to work this way, because only the application knows how to render its proprietary file format into a PDF that the OS X print system can interpret. In the case of RTF and text, this ability is built into OS X itself (and PDF needs no rendering). Theoretically, the built-in WebKit should be able to render HTML to PDF for printing without opening a browser, but I guess the Finder's not smart enough to decide if you want to print the rendering or the plain-text HTML.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Is this a 10.4 thing? My 10.3 Finder doesn't have a File>Print menu item.

I don't have my 10.3 computer handy, but it certainly works with 10.4. IIRC, this functionality dates back to System 7.5.