ADSL Filter Was Causing Major Problems

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just a helpful reminder if your DSL is horked it could be the bloody Filter! test by plugging the phone line straight into the DSL Modem, bypassing the phone line filter thingy, and see if that helps.

I'm in Malaysia right now and I just changed my DSL filter thingy, and Azureus is responding much better, and dslreports.com speed test to Megapath, CA actually shows 1mbps down, which is nice, since it shows server connection to halfway round the world is good.

About 300+ms ping to www.appleinsider.com

no packet loss

thank the gawds, finally my DSL here is actually working like it should.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er... DSL filters filter the DSL *OUT*. They go on every phone jack *EXCEPT* the one your DSL modem is plugged into.

It's a wonder you had any signal at all.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Er... DSL filters filter the DSL *OUT*. They go on every phone jack *EXCEPT* the one your DSL modem is plugged into.

It's a wonder you had any signal at all.

ummm... out here near the equator, it's actually kind of like a 'splitter' as in

main phone line--->[splitter]

then

voice phone <--- [splitter] ---->DSL

it's not like in australia or usa where you put filters on all the phone jacks except the DSL modem as you mentioned....

i think out here (malaysistan) most people have only one main phone jack...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Hmm, must be like how the toilets swirl the other way once you're South of the Equator.

Interesting!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    The DSL filters in the UK are also Splitters.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Oz uses both terms, here a splitter is a device that take the phone line and then splits it into a filtered line for the phone and unfiltered for adsl.. (central splitter etc)... We also use the term filter for an inline device to err filter the adsl out for a normal phone extension
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Don't you love *standard* terminology?

Did you have it plugged in the right half? (I keed.)