asking for email confirmation in MAIL

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know if in mail it is possible to send out an email and have it so taht you get a confirmation that it was open or read? I know in microsoft outlook you can (on a pc). Just currious if so how do you do it?

thanks

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Not only is it not possible, to my knowledge, but Mail also fails to recognise many emails requesting a reply.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Not only is it not possible, to my knowledge, but Mail also fails to recognise many emails requesting a reply.

That is just too bad, maybe something they could implement into the next mail. Sure would be nice sometimes to get confirmation that your email was either opened or read withouth having to send the email from a pc. Would be nice to keep it all on a mac.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

That is just too bad, maybe something they could implement into the next mail. Sure would be nice sometimes to get confirmation that your email was either opened or read withouth having to send the email from a pc. Would be nice to keep it all on a mac.

Yep, all those spam senders would just love to get a confirmation from every mail that actually hit a correct email address.

Plus you don't know if the receiving end has that capability (or has it turned on) anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I use to use MailPriority back in the 10.2 days. It worked for what I needed. There was a problem where you would not get a return reciept confirmation if the client did not have it enabled on their machine.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    In closed, proprietary systems such as AOL and many education systems (ex: my school's biased on FirstClass), it is possible to see when someone read an email. In open systems such as different domains and non-propriatory stuff there are ways to request one but you aren't guaranteed.

Thunderbird can be set to ask you if you would like to send a read receipt in mail with the request.

There was a company a that would put a small gif image into your email for you and when they detect a read, it notifies you. Luckily, mail.app and most other good email clients need to be told they can display images (which aren;t attached) for emails you've gotten so, you are protected from this too.

-------Now for the anecdotal, other stuff about this topic------------

If it were possible to see when people read email, it would end the "I didn't see it until last minute" and similar exuses. I know at school someone did that to me and i open the email and showed them the time they got it, when the read it, and even when they drafted (though didn't send) a reply

A good saying my dad gave me is that assume everything you send in email is public. You have no way of knowing who else read it and who was forwarded a copy.