What type or brand HDs will work with Mac G3s?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My son has a Maxtor 40G drive he wants to add to his machine. It was originally a part of a Windows unit. He wants to format it and use with his G3. Is that possible?

Also for future reference, what vendor hard drives work with Macs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

My son has a Maxtor 40G drive he wants to add to his machine. It was originally a part of a Windows unit. He wants to format it and use with his G3. Is that possible?

Also for future reference, what vendor hard drives work with Macs?

I've used Maxtor, Western Digital and Seagate drives in both my Beige and BW G3 with no problems.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a Hard drive is a hard drive .... ATA interface is necessary.

Yes, It will need to be re-formatted.

What machine is it being installed in ?

older iMac G3's require a firmware upgrade and partitioning to make the larger drives work (larger than 8 GB).

I THINK if your G3 is faster than 333 it should work without the partitioning requirement,
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I THINK if your G3 is faster than 333 it should work without the partitioning requirement,

It does. I installed a 80GB 7200rpm Western Digital into my iMac DV 400 with no problems. Booted right up. Runs even quieter than the stock 10GB drive that came with the machine.

GTSC
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

a Hard drive is a hard drive .... ATA interface is necessary.

older iMac G3's require a firmware upgrade and partitioning to make the larger drives work (larger than 8 GB).

I believe the 8 Gig limitation is only for the boot partition.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    And there is no 8 GB limitiation if you use an ATA PCI controller in a G3 Beige.

G3 B&W don't have the 8 GB limitation. I didn't know Imacs had this problem.