Mac mini vs PowerMac on 23" FPD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a significant difference in video performance?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    That depends on the videocard?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    and what you are doing on the display. 3d/2d, full screen movies, etc.

I think the mini's built-in gpu is barely adequate to drive the 23"'s resolution and you should not expect great results for most things.

I could try I suppose, I've got a 23" cinema display, a PM G5 and a Mini. I just have never hooked the 23" display to the mini before.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    There's no difference in static desktop use. My iBook can run Dell 2405fpw just fine. Expose would be smoother if there was more VRAM, but that matters not from the perspective of actually using it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Thanks for those who posted. That's what I was wondering. I've never regretted getting the 22" Cinema with my second G4^3 (the first is with the 15" display) and I've been running it happily ever since. When I got myself a 23" al dispay I've been running it via my Al PB, but I want to get some benefits out of it and maybe even run the two together, so I've looked at PowerMacs for months-- turned off by the size, of course, nearly seduced by the video boards (a very fair first comment that!)-- but now have a plethora of choices, but still the same box! The mini is a lot faster than the 500 G4^3 and the HD is now twice as big (though memory would be less than one where I have 1.5MB), but it is still a G4.

I do not know enough about the world of video boards and monitors except to say that my DVDs look terrific on my big displays and now we're going for HD?