just bought 2nd hand eMac,what to do first?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all,

i just bought myself a 2nd hand eMac.

I've had a look through all the software the previous owner had on it, and taken what i want and put it on my external HD. Now how do i reset it?

How do i wipe it all (so to speak) and when i turn it on afterwards it will act like a brand-new computer, so that i can make my own user account, etc?

Alternatively, if i make a 2nd user account (it currently only had one) how do i set it up so that is the Master Account? And how do i delete the previous owner's account?

I'm sure this is all in System Preferences/Accounts, but i dont want to do anything stupid that means i won't have access to the computer or anything (i dont want to have to call the old owner asking what their User Account password is, etc).

Also, incase it matters, it's running OS 10.3.3. When i've got more RAM i'll move to 10.4.2

Well, any tips/hints, etc then let me know

-thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If it came with the Install CD's, your best bet is to do a clean system install... and check the option to erase the drive when it gives you the option.

If you don't have the disks, you should be able to set up a new account, give it administrator privileges, then log in under the new account and delete the old one (Sys Prefs > Accounts)

That second method won't "clean up" the Applications folder or system level Library though, just creates a new "blank" user account for you to start from.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Did you also search for any of the previous owner's personal information such as bank and credit card account numbers?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Hey all,

i just bought myself a 2nd hand eMac.

I've had a look through all the software the previous owner had on it, and taken what i want and put it on my external HD. Now how do i reset it?

How do i wipe it all (so to speak) and when i turn it on afterwards it will act like a brand-new computer, so that i can make my own user account, etc?

Alternatively, if i make a 2nd user account (it currently only had one) how do i set it up so that is the Master Account? And how do i delete the previous owner's account?

I'm sure this is all in System Preferences/Accounts, but i dont want to do anything stupid that means i won't have access to the computer or anything (i dont want to have to call the old owner asking what their User Account password is, etc).

Also, incase it matters, it's running OS 10.3.3. When i've got more RAM i'll move to 10.4.2

Well, any tips/hints, etc then let me know

-thanks

Upgrade to Mac OS 10.3.9 asap, it's free and stable. Then max out the ram. Tiger may not offer you that much additional usability. Save the money intended for OS and use it for ram.

Happy computing!