Starting A Magazine

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I want to start designing a magazine, but I need to know what is a really user-friendly application that I can use to build one. Just to let you guys know...I don't have any background or knowledge with web design, or graphics design. Currently I'm using pages, but pages is very limited.

So if u guys can help me...I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Are you building a mag for the web or print?

If your going pirnt your going to need quark (industry standard)

It's for the web check out macromedia, Firefox is a good layoutish app however You'll porberly want some kind of content management server like

mambo or some PHP thingy to make it easier both for you and your readers.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I'm trying to build one for print. How much does the quark app. cost?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Muchisgiven

I'm trying to build one for print. How much does the quark app. cost?

A ton

My dad uses and old classic version i think it's V3 lol
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Muchisgiven

.I don't have any background or knowledge with web design, or graphics design. Currently I'm using pages, but pages is very limited.

So, you are a writer then? Why not find someone to buddy up with that can do the other stuff?

I would suggest reading through the Pages manual a little more. It does a lot more than you probably think.

InDesign is another thing you could look at. But it is also pricey and has a much steeper learning curve than Pages. So does Quark.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    you can always download trial versions of Quark and Adobe InDesign and try them out. If you've never used either one, you may want to take a small course.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Personally I prefer InDesign to Quark. It's the newer kid on the block, but it integrates really well with other Adobe apps and CS2 is superior to Quark in some areas, IMO. Quark has some advanced workflow features that InDesign does not, but InDesign should be more than sufficient for your needs unless you are publishing a major newspaper or magazine.

Try them both, as others have said. Also check out Lynda.com for some good training videos if you're a visual learner. It's only $20/month for unlimited usage/videos and most of them are very good for beginners.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by abilstein

Personally I prefer InDesign to Quark. It's the newer kid on the block, but it integrates really well with other Adobe apps and CS2 is superior to Quark in some areas, IMO. Quark has some advanced workflow features that InDesign does not, but InDesign should be more than sufficient for your needs unless you are publishing a major newspaper or magazine.

Try them both, as others have said. Also check out Lynda.com for some good training videos if you're a visual learner. It's only $20/month for unlimited usage/videos and most of them are very good for beginners.

My magazine just launched (www.gothambaseball.com) and I did all the design myself for the first time. Of course, I've been a magazine editor for 10 years and worked with a number of good designers ? plus I started using Quark in 1989 ? and done various design projects for years.

I did the magazine in InDesign CS 2, and aside from a couple of odd ripping issues with my printer (I suspect more their issue than mine because of what went odd), it turned out well. Despite my experience, I still needed to learn a few things ? so I'd be cautious about just diving in unless you have no choice.

The software is pricey ? and the learning curve is not small. You might want to hire a freelance designer ? and farm the work out. Feel free to contact me directly, though, if you'd like some more details suggestions and advice.