Sony Ericsson S710a

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just at the Cingular store checking out phones to replace my T616. Does

anyone know what will be replacing the Sony Ericsson S710a & when it comes

out? The sales people are not told when new phones are coming out.

I saw a small clip online of Quake being played on a new cellphone. Does

anyone know if the new Sony Ericsson phones can play that?

They also had the new razor phone over there. It was pretty sweet looking &

it has an amazing amount of talk & standby time (11 hours & over 200 hours).

Same price as the S710a & they even offer insurance for it, not for the S710a.

Also, can I transfer my games & midi phone rings from my T616 to these new

phones? I'm guessing I can use bluetooth but I don't know if they have some

sort of copy protection that won't allow that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    The S710a will probably be replaced by the K750i (in a North America version). The K600i is the 3G version which might come out here if some carriers can get their 3G networks up and running. As is the Z/V800 which is a 3G flip phone and generally similar to the K600 overall.

The Razr will be replaced by the V3x (3G Razr version) and the Razr 2, with the PEBL (rounded flip phone - more for chicks) and SLVR (candybar) as counterparts.

Additionally the CDMA Razr will be coming out, difference being CDMA instead of GSM and a somewhat better camera.

As for what phone you should get, it depends. The Razr V3 is an excellent phone phone (menu's aside, but they've been getting better) with some of the best reception around. But that's about it. You can get video recording with hacked firmware, but overall feature is it's basic. Wide and shallow say.

The S710a has a better camera and more memory, the K750 continues that trend. The W800 walkman phone is similar to the K750, except for the different music playing software. However none of them have quite as good reception or talk time or frankly look as good. Although their menu's are better.

However the best place for cellphone information is Howards Forums.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The K750 is da bomb (make switcher commercial hand gestures). Everyone I know who bought one are ecstatic over it. I´ll buy mine this week.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Sorry, in advance for diverting this thread for my own purposes ...

I really really really want an SE Z800 or V800. Are there any of you out in Europe who got the phone through Vodafone (in the case of the V800) or sim-free (which would give it the Z800 designation) and are looking to sell it?

Please PM me, if you are.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I got a reply from Sony Ericsson's Tech support. She said that the W600i is the

phone that my friend was probably referring to because it can play games in

3d. The website says that you can tilt the phone in a horizontal position to play

games. I found out that it also has an fm tuner, mp3 player, 1.3 megapixel

camera, & you can shoot video clips.

Any idea when it's coming out stateside & price?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

I got a reply from Sony Ericsson's Tech support. She said that the W600i is the

phone that my friend was probably referring to because it can play games in

3d. The website says that you can tilt the phone in a horizontal position to play

games. I found out that it also has an fm tuner, mp3 player, 1.3 megapixel

camera, & you can shoot video clips.

Any idea when it's coming out stateside & price?

i am waiting for the w800 'walman* phone' to show up. i love my t630 to bits, the K series is goodness but too chunkadelic for me.

*edit: obviously i mean "walkman". so old skool, i can't even bloody spell it anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The k700 is large and not that well designed. But the k750 has the exact same size as the W800 and almost the same as the t6xx serie.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The K750 is da bomb (make switcher commercial hand gestures). Everyone I know who bought one are ecstatic over it. I´ll buy mine this week.

Meh. It's ok. Personally I find there are a few things that annoy me about it. The vibrate is rather weak and the reception isn't as good as my old nokia or Samsung, which is a biggy for me. The joystick isn't a great design and I think they traded off too much space for the screen at the expense of designing better buttons, which although not the worst I've seen always strike me as a bit awkward. When writing an SMS it doesn't count characters for you (it will give you a countdown but only for the last 20). That's all that really springs to my mind right now. It certainly has nice features, battery life has been great for me, but it isn't perfect.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Meh. It's ok. Personally I find there are a few things that annoy me about it. The vibrate is rather weak and the reception isn't as good as my old nokia or Samsung, which is a biggy for me. The joystick isn't a great design and I think they traded off too much space for the screen at the expense of designing better buttons, which although not the worst I've seen always strike me as a bit awkward. When writing an SMS it doesn't count characters for you (it will give you a countdown but only for the last 20). That's all that really springs to my mind right now. It certainly has nice features, battery life has been great for me, but it isn't perfect.

Of all those I will give you the SMS thing.

In my world screens shouldn´t be larger on a phone. If you want a larger screen you can go two ways, The candy bar solution, like the Nokia 3230 with extreme bad button placement or any kind of swing out, clam shell etc solution out there, which I dislike even more.

I have used the phone for tests for three days and I had no problems at all anywhere here with the reception. I have very intimate knowledge of our network, so I know where to place myself to test it . Could yours be a lemon (or your carrier suck)?

Joystick, well some like it, some don´t. One or two button mice? Cola or Pepsi?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    edit:

i am troubled by the direspectin' of the sony ericsson joystick. hmm when did i become such a fanboy
  • Reply 10 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I think you mixed up what I said. I would have actually preferred a slightly smaller screen on the K750 and had slightly larger buttons. I really see a lot of these big screen phones as pointless. I don't need the screen to be that big.

The joystick isn't a big problem except sometimes, once a day or something, I find I go to press down and accidentally bump a direction instead. I may get more used to that with time though.

In defence of the reception comment I know I live in a massive blackhole for signals, which is why it is a biggy for me, unless I want to go outside for all my calls. Whoever built and designed this house went to a lot of trouble to make the lower level almost impenetrable to signals from the outside unless you're at a window. I don't even try in most rooms down there. The upstairs isn't a great deal better but is better, largely because I expect they didn't use the same care in building (it was clearly done later). That said where my nokia would occasionally cut out upstairs and the samsung did a surprisingly good job, I hated that phone so much though, the SE really struggles. I know from when my sister has been around that the K700 has the same issues too. It's worth noting both the Nokia and Samsung were only dual band phones though.

I quite like the phone but I'm still looking for that perfect one. I expect Nokia or SE will get pretty close soon. I continue to think Motorola suffers from too slow an interface and wish Nokia would support syncing on macs in more of their phones.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

....The joystick isn't a big problem except sometimes, once a day or something, I find I go to press down and accidentally bump a direction instead. I may get more used to that with time though......

no worries and your point about joystick and reception is valid. bumping a direction instead of pressing down still happens to me sometimes.

my t630 is gsm tripleband, and coverage in my current city (digi communications) and when i was in sydney (telstra mobile) was very decent.

i had a moto something or other when they tried to roll out 3G in a big way in sydney middle of 2003, (hutchinson telecoms/ orange) and my house was in one of those kind of blackspots, the moto would not autoswitch down to 2.5 or 2g from 3g, it was stuck on "ultra low crappy 3g" instead of switching to "decent and high but 2g" mode.