Windows Media Player alternative

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey, i'm trying to play certain things in windows media player.Namely, MTV online's live music performances. Every time i try to play one of the videos, i get the error message "Cannot open the file, verify that the path and filename are correct and try again" I know the videos work becasue they work fine on my Winbloze PC. I read a tech support article from Microsoft that says windows media 9 doesnt support digital rights management and thats why it gives me those errors. What can i do to combat this problem? Settings, alternative web-based .wmp player? Thanks soo much for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Figital

Hey, i'm trying to play certain things in windows media player.Namely, MTV online's live music performances. Every time i try to play one of the videos, i get the error message "Cannot open the file, verify that the path and filename are correct and try again" I know the videos work becasue they work fine on my Winbloze PC. I read a tech support article from Microsoft that says windows media 9 doesnt support digital rights management and thats why it gives me those errors. What can i do to combat this problem? Settings, alternative web-based .wmp player? Thanks soo much for the help.

For me, some videos play on the MTV site, but other videos do not. If, as you suspect, the viedos that don't play are DRMed, then there is nothing on the Mac that can play them.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    If you want a really cool alternative to WMP i suggest you have a look at Flip4Mac. Then you can play WMP stuff right inside Safari. Makes it so I can watch the vids at CNN.com with no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    macs can only handle windows media 9, and at that very poorly. Most of the content on the MTV site is windows media 10.

You cannot view any of the content unless you have Microsoft Windows installed.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    This is actually a real problem, I experience time and time again that this is normal peoples biggest problem with the mac platform...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Most of the content on the MTV site is windows media 10.

I just checked, and FlipMac doesn't work with whatever they (MTV) have on their site
  • Reply 6 of 8
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    The files do not play because Microsoft has chosen not to be cross-platform compatible with their Windows Media Player releases. Until they do release something compatible there's nothing you can do to play them on the Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    it has nothing to do with being windows media 10 or if its a windows platform at all. It's the digital rights management. If microsoft would just make windows media 9 compatible with DRM then it would work fine. But until then, nope. Does anyone know if microsoft has plans to release WMP10 for mac?

P.S. - another site where you cannot use macs is launch.com which is now yahoo music. It's BS, these website should make their files backwards compatible.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Figital

[B]it has nothing to do with being windows media 10 or if its a windows platform at all. It's the digital rights management. If microsoft would just make windows media 9 compatible with DRM then it would work fine. But until then, nope. Does anyone know if microsoft has plans to release WMP10 for mac?

Oh, come now. We are talking about free content on the Internet. As much as I don't like it, I understand DRMing pay content. DRM for free content is a solution in search of a problem.