Apple, the iPod and Microsoft

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now Microsoft is saying that they patented the iPod UI before Apple did? I should have expected this.

However, Apple invented the column-view to search for files way, way back in 1980, though Apple decided not to include it in system 1.0 because it would be too complex for users.

This feature was reincarnated in OSX and surely this was (I would presume) patented before the date MS supposedly did in May of 2002. Wouldnt a patent of a collumn-view to assist in looking up files translate to other apple products, or in this case the iPod as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Now Microsoft is saying that they patented the iPod UI before Apple did? I should have expected this.

However, Apple invented the column-view to search for files way, way back in 1980, though Apple decided not to include it in system 1.0 because it would be too complex for users.

This feature was reincarnated in OSX and surely this was (I would presume) patented before the date MS supposedly did in May of 2002. Wouldnt a patent of a collumn-view to assist in looking up files translate to other apple products, or in this case the iPod as well?

Don't know about all that But i reckon apple knew they weren't going to get the patent and gave MS the ultimatum, "Give us the patent/s and let us have the music market share or were going to go intel"

Just a theory
  • Reply 2 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Microsoft has a habit of patenting other people's idea then waiting until somebody gets it overturned or challenges it with prior art. Really nothing terribly interesting. Let it be a lesson though, file your patents on the day you release something.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

. . . Let it be a lesson though, file your patents on the day you release something.

From working on patents myself, I think patents can be file later, provided there are witnessed records of the idea dating back to original conception, and provided Apple showed diligence in moving the idea into an actual product. This is why I'm puzzled by the patent office ruling.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Does no one actually read the patents? http://www.macsonly.com/ has a good rundown on 8/13. Bottom line - these two patents don't really have much to do with one another.

AND... the Apple patent filing has been *initially* denied. I've got a couple in the pipeline myself, and the PTO at first stroke tries to deny the patent on a number of *possible* bases, and then it's up to the filer to argue the case, edit the claims, etc, etc. The Apple patent has not been issued a final denial, nor has the MS filing been issued a patent.

Once again, the collective 'journalism' media has their heads up their butts.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

. . . Once again, the collective 'journalism' media has their heads up their butts.

Glad to hear that the truth is better than the "news." However, I did run across this article that even touches on the patent issues I posted. Quote in part:

?Most large companies maintain lab notebooks where they keep logs of daily investigative activities,? said Culpepper. ?The patent office will take a look at those books to try to determine who conceived the idea. It is going to come back to lab notebooks, internal memorandum and other internal documentation.?

Culpepper said that generally the rule for a patent is the party that invented it first and then diligently worked toward building the product is going to get the patent. However, as an example, he said that if a company invented a technology and put it away for a few years and a second company comes along, invents a similar technology and produces a product, they will get the patent.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08...tent/index.php