Best type of DVD for burning data

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an iMac G5 20" and i want to back up my data on a DVD. I've never burned to DVD before. What is the best/most reliable brand for a reasonable cost?

Also, does the iMac have burn software for DVDs already included?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I myself use Sony DVD's, but some people complain about them. I don't have a problem with them - but all the complaints do suggest some type of a problem. So, I don't know what to tell you there.

As for software, Finder can burn Data DVDs. A simple drag'n'drop to your DVD drive will work. iDVD is capable of burning iDVD projects, but only if you have an internal DVD burner. Otherwise, you need to apply a hack for an external DVD burner.

If you need on-the-fly DVD copying and other options, you need something like Toast from Roxio.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tidelwavtidelwav Posts: 118member
    Cool thanks Gene!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've had a lot of success with TDK media.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Which model of burner do you have? Which version of OS X? (System Profiler will let you know)

New machines can burn DVD±RW. Older models or pre-Tiger OS won't.

If you're a .Mac member, Backup now supports archiving to DVD, otherwise Toast is teh win.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    As a rule, I only buy "name brand" blank media and I can honestly say that I have had the best results with Sony, Memorex and Philips. I usually buy DVD+R...

Also pretty good are Staples brand blank media (made by Imation).
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I've only used Apple's media, and never had problems.

Although it's a little expensive and not RW.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Which model of burner do you have? Which version of OS X? (System Profiler will let you know)

New machines can burn DVD±RW. Older models or pre-Tiger OS won't.

If you're a .Mac member, Backup now supports archiving to DVD, otherwise Toast is teh win.

I have an iMac 20" Rev B with the following:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845:

Firmware RevisiontDBN9

InterconnecttATAPI

Burn SupporttYes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cachet2048 KB

Reads DVDtYes

CD-Writet-R, -RW

DVD-Writet-R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CDtYes

Burn Underrun Protection DVDtYes

Write StrategiestCD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

MediatNo
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I burn DVD-R on my PM G5 since I use iDVD4 and my TiBook won't read DVD+R. I've burned successfuly without coasters with Sony, Memorex, TDK and Verbatim. However, I've had issues with Sony and Memorex not burning at their rated speed. Many people seem to feel that Verbatim is the best brand.

For burning data I prefer to use Toast, a commercial software program. Burning with the Finder always seemed slow and clunky to me.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Am I the only person that finds it strange that Apple strips out DVD-RAM support from the panasonic drives? They do normally support it just not in Apple's computers.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidelwav

I have an iMac 20" Rev B with the following:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845:

Firmware RevisiontDBN9

InterconnecttATAPI

Burn SupporttYes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cachet2048 KB

Reads DVDtYes

CD-Writet-R, -RW

DVD-Writet-R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CDtYes

Burn Underrun Protection DVDtYes

Write StrategiestCD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

MediatNo

So you've got DVD ±RW support and +R Dual Layer

I've stuck pretty much with Maxell, I use DVD+RW as 4.3GB temporary parking, and when I want permanent archiving, I burn it to DVD-R. The more important the data, the more often the backup and the more copies (stored separately... off site if super-paranoid).

Given the premium pricing for DL (over 6x the cost for only 2x the storage per disc), I don't think they're worth it yet (unless you have data that absolutely must be single disc). Maybe by next year DL will justify itself.

Canadian users should note that the government/Recording industry levy on blank media applies only to CDs and tapes, not DVDs, so backup to DVD is not only cheaper, but you're not paying the suits for archiving your own data.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Ok cool, thanks for the responses everyone. Great information!