New Displays......Coming Soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone has any idea whether or not we will see upgraded Cinema Displays or price reductions on current displays anytime in the near-future.

The 23 inch HD is beautiful but would hate to buy now if a 24 or 25 incher for the same price might be right around the corner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,613member
    The Apple LCD monitors were updated in late April. It will take 6 months minimum, likely 9 months, to clear the channel. So if your definition of near-future is the next 3 to 6 months, then no, I do not think the current lineup will be changed. There is a possibility of a rebate or discount w/other purchase for the Fall holidays, but features will be unchanged.

Q1 06 or coinciding with a Mac/Intel (be it Mac Mini or PowerMac) release are probably the most likely dates.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomster1300

I was wondering if anyone has any idea whether or not we will see upgraded Cinema Displays or price reductions on current displays anytime in the near-future.

The 23 inch HD is beautiful but would hate to buy now if a 24 or 25 incher for the same price might be right around the corner.

Apple's current aluminum-framed Cinema Displays replaced its clear plastic-framed Cinema Displays. The former models had been in production for years with relatively minor changes, primarily due to technological advances that allowed larger panels. No one can guarantee anything. However, I expect no significant changes in the design of the current Cinema Display line until well after the Intel transition is complete.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I just wish Apple would put out a 17" ACD...

Be great to go with the Mac mini...

;^p
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I just wish Apple would put out a 17" ACD...

Be great to go with the Mac mini...

;^p

Sherman, come with me for a quick ride in the Way Back Machine. You'll have your 17" ACD in no time.

--Mr. Peabody
  • Reply 5 of 17
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Sherman, come with me for a quick ride in the Way Back Machine. You'll have your 17" ACD in no time.

--Mr. Peabody

If you are referencing the older 17" Apple Studio Display, well, duh...

Like I didn't know about that...

I am talking about a new 17" Apple Cinema Display that matches the current ACD lineup...

;^p
  • Reply 6 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

The Apple LCD monitors were updated in late April.

They wern't updated at all, just prices cut.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I agree with that. I think Apple is missing a group of people who could very easily pull the trigger on a 17" Cinema Display that was at a lower price point than the "low-end" 20" Cinema Display right now. For some, that is a large enough display.

However, for me, having the 20" Cinema Display and just seeing the 30" side-by-side with the 20" display on the desk in a shot in the season finale of Law and Order, I am wishing that I now had the money for that 30" display. That mother is huge!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Apple would be better to ship an 18" display. 17" is a congested market that you can't make money in. 18" will be there in about 6 months. So I can understand why Apple stays at 20" and up.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple would be better to ship an 18" display. 17" is a congested market that you can't make money in. 18" will be there in about 6 months. So I can understand why Apple stays at 20" and up.

there are many reasons for having a lot of 17 inch monitors, and thats mainly because of aspect ratios. So Apple could make an 18 monitor yes, but why? I'm no more likely to buy an 18 inch monitor than a 17 inch monitor just because there arnt many other 18 inch monitors; and Apples will likely be more expensive than the other companies 17 inch monitors. You can get a 17" lcd monitor for $200
  • Reply 10 of 17
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Dude, your getting a dell, just buy a freaking '17 inch dell display. Didn't you read the BYOKAD montra? Bring your own display.

17' blows., if your cheep enough to need something like that get it from dell.

Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

I agree with that. I think Apple is missing a group of people who could very easily pull the trigger on a 17" Cinema Display that was at a lower price point than the "low-end" 20" Cinema Display right now. For some, that is a large enough display.

However, for me, having the 20" Cinema Display and just seeing the 30" side-by-side with the 20" display on the desk in a shot in the season finale of Law and Order, I am wishing that I now had the money for that 30" display. That mother is huge!

• Reply 11 of 17
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    I really think Apple would sell a bunch of wide-aspect 17" monitors if it chose to do so. Essentially, it would be the 1140 X 900 display used in the iMac. I've looked around and no one sells a monitor of this size and resolution even though they are seen on a number of notebook computers now from various people (including Apple).
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Dude, your getting a dell, just buy a freaking '17 inch dell display. Didn't you read the BYOKAD montra? Bring your own display.

17' blows., if your cheep enough to need something like that get it from dell.

Dude... chill. I said that there is a group out there who needs the price break. I never said that I needed it. I am quite happy with the 20" Apple Cinema Display that I have attached to my dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac system.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    apple is not making 17" because if they make same aluminum design with wide 17#, they can not make it cheap enough. this design cost more money than

other 17# monitors.

that is why they don't have it yet.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by khkoo

apple is not making 17" because if they make same aluminum design with wide 17#, they can not make it cheap enough. this design cost more money than other 17# monitors.

That is a good point. Like someone else said in this thread yesterday, if people want something cheaper, they can just purchase something cheaper. I wanted the style that comes with the Cinema Display to go with my Power Mac. I did not want that black Dell or Samsung sitting there.

Now that I have seen them side-by-side, however, I really wish I had been able to purchase the 30" Cinema Display instead of the 20" that I have now, but I like what I have. It works for me, I guess. \
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I got the 23" to go with my PB at the office and love it. If you need a lot of space for work it will spoil you quickly. I did see the 30" at CompUSA and had to walk away after about 15 seconds so I wouldn't drool on myself. That one will have to wait for the lottery win.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Originally posted by khkoo

apple is not making 17" because if they make same aluminum design with wide 17#, they can not make it cheap enough. this design cost more money than

other 17# monitors.

Disagree. No one sells a 17" wide aspect monitor with a 1440 X 900 resolution so there isn't any competition. Everything is 1280 X 1040 with a few 1280 X 720 that are essentially TV monitors.

Besides, the competition undercutting Apple in the 20" and 23"/24" wide aspect markets hasn't caused them to stop making monitors alltogether. If they can sell a 20" monitor for $800 when Dell sometimes sells it for less than half that figure then they should be able to move some smaller ACD's as well.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hudson1

Disagree. No one sells a 17" wide aspect monitor with a 1440 X 900 resolution so there isn't any competition. Everything is 1280 X 1040 with a few 1280 X 720 that are essentially TV monitors.

Besides, the competition undercutting Apple in the 20" and 23"/24" wide aspect markets hasn't caused them to stop making monitors alltogether. If they can sell a 20" monitor for $800 when Dell sometimes sells it for less than half that figure then they should be able to move some smaller ACD's as well.

Any competition? I guess if apple make wide 17" display with same design,

it could be expensive then other companies 18"or19" monitors.

Not all the time but most of case people buying smaller monitor because it is cheaper. or maybe steve jobs dosen't want to make small monitors any more.