could apple every switch to AMD

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am not trying to create an argument over whether or not Apple should have went with AMD rather than Intel. I am just wondering, if apple could switch to AMD.

I know i don't know a whole lot about programming and different APIs but both are x86, it wouldn't be like apple switching back to PPC. Could apple do it? Would it take any work on the developer's side? what about the OS developers?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Once the switch to Intel is complete, a switch to AMD is 99.9% complete. Just about the only technical thing Apple has to do is debug any AMD-specific chipset issues.

It would probably take Apple longer to negotiate the contract for chip supplies w/AMD and manufacturers than port to AMD hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    thats what i thought. I wanted to make sure before i kept tellling those (at school) who are all pissed saying apple made the wrong choice. Its not that big of a deal and can, as you say, be undone easily.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    i think apples new(?) strategy is to keep macos 'portable', so switching to whatever architecture always is possible...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    In theory, Apple could mix and match their processors all the time. All new applications should be 'Fat" binaries which means that they should run on both X86 and PPC. However, it is unlikely that they would, by moving to Intel Apple has removed performance issues from the equation, now all they to worry about is getting the OS optimised. Right now OSX is far more stable than Windows, but performance is an issue. With the switch to Intel that will disappear. Apple want to be competitive and will fit the best processor for the job, right now it seems that the Intel roadmap is favoured.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    In practice, however, when you've made a deal with Intel, you're stuck. Apple will be like Dell, bristling at their inability to offer Opteron servers (vastly superior to the Xeon dreck), but still hewing to the Intel line. Wait and see: Apple will never offer a machine with an AMD processor.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I am not trying to create an argument over whether or not Apple should have went with AMD rather than Intel. I am just wondering, if apple could switch to AMD.

I know i don't know a whole lot about programming and different APIs but both are x86, it wouldn't be like apple switching back to PPC. Could apple do it? Would it take any work on the developer's side? what about the OS developers?

Thanks

Jesus yes they could. This question has only been answered a thousand times. Did you try the search?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    As Onlooker said, try the search.