MPEG2 problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just installed Tiger and now I can't open or work with MPEG2 files. I re-installed the Quicktime section on my DVD SP Pro installer, but still can't view the files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

I just installed Tiger and now I can't open or work with MPEG2 files. I re-installed the Quicktime section on my DVD SP Pro installer, but still can't view the files.

if your dvd studio pro version is 3.0, you have a quicktime 6 key. either buy the quicktime 7 pro key, or dvd studio pro 4.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 551member
    I have the QT 7 Pro key
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,819member
    Quote:

I have the QT 7 Pro key

QT 7 Pro does not equal MPEG2 playback.

There is a separate component that has to be purchased, presumably this is included in DVD Studio Pro.

There should be a component installed in either /library/quicktime/ or /system/library/quicktime called QuickTimeMPEG2.component. have a look in those folders to make sure it is actually there.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    As I mentioned in my original post, I installed the MPEG2 components from my DVDSP installer disc. The file is present in the System/Library/Quicktime folder.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,819member
    Quote:

As I mentioned in my original post, I installed the MPEG2 components from my DVDSP installer disc. The file is present in the System/Library/Quicktime folder.

O.K., here are a few things you could try, in order:

1) presumably, these files you are trying to work with, you have actually used before. Apparently, the mpeg2 component will only play back "program streams", not "transport streams".

2) Have you tried opening the files in the quicktime player application rather than DVD SP? Obviously, if they open in the player O.K., something is wrong with DVD SP.

3) Have you repaired permissions recently?

4) Try creating a new user account, and see if if works under that account.

5) Delete the component using the finder, reboot. Re-install component, reboot.

6) Come back here if none of that works.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I replaced the component with one from my powerbook (which was seeing the files fine).

All is well, thanks.