[MERGED] HELP ! How to install ATI panel on dual G5 ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got my new dual G5 2.0 GHz today, and I'm experiencing a problem. The machine comes with the ATI X850 XT video card, and I want antialiasing like on my old G4 with its ATI 9800 Pro. On the G4, there's an ATI Display panel which let the user to select many options, and especially FSAA (Full Scene AntiAliasing). I want this to be back on the new G5. But apparently, the ATI installer doesn't recognise the card (ATI X850 XT). Any idea on this ?

Also, how can I verify if Core Graphics is enabled on this Mac ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Dunno about the FSAA, but Tiger has Quartz Extreme enabled, and Quartz 2-D Extreme disabled. On this card, Core Image will use the hardware.

You can turn QE and Q2-DE on and off with Apple's Quartz Debug app, which is on my server here (right click and save):

http://www.johnnylundy.com/Quartz%20Debug.zip
  • Reply 2 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

I just got my new dual G5 2.0 GHz today, and I'm experiencing a problem. The machine comes with the ATI X850 XT video card, and I want antialiasing like on my old G4 with its ATI 9800 Pro. On the G4, there's an ATI Display panel which let the user to select many options, and especially FSAA (Full Scene AntiAliasing). I want this to be back on the new G5. But apparently, the ATI installer doesn't recognise the card (ATI X850 XT). Any idea on this ?

Also, how can I verify if Core Graphics is enabled on this Mac ?

You can't install that control panel, since your X850 came with your Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You can't install that control panel, since your X850 came with your Mac.

Then how do I turn on AntiAliasing ?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Then how do I turn on AntiAliasing ?

It's up to the individual apps/games to give you the option of enabling FSAA. The control panel is used for overriding game preferences.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

It's up to the individual apps/games to give you the option of enabling FSAA. The control panel is used for overriding game preferences.

Sorry, but this is bull shit. I can't accept this.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    i think if you install the ATi drivers off their website, you should get the control panel. I did that and i got a control panel, mabye this'll help you.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

i think if you install the ATi drivers off their website, you should get the control panel. I did that and i got a control panel, mabye this'll help you.

What is your video card ? Is it the X850 XT ? If yes, did you get the ATI Display control panel with access to the AntiAliasing features ?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Okay! ATI has just updated its ATI Display control panel today (version 4.5.5). I installed it on my system and now I have full AntiAlliasing.

However, I'm still experiencing some video problems with Celestia and other soft. I presume they can be solved only with an ATI driver update.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

What is your video card ? Is it the X850 XT ? If yes, did you get the ATI Display control panel with access to the AntiAliasing features ?

i just have a regular 14" iBook G4 1.2GHz soooo i have a ATi Radeon 9200 mobile.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ATI has released new video drivers v4.5.5 for the following chips:

RADEON X800 XT MAC EDITION

RADEON 9800 PRO MAC SPECIAL EDITION

RADEON 9800 PRO MAC EDITION

RADEON 9600 PRO PC MAC EDITION

RADEON 9200 MAC EDITION

RADEON 9000 PRO MAC EDITION

RADEON 8500 MAC EDITION

RADEON 7000 MAC EDITION

RADEON MAC EDITION (AGP & PCI)

It also supports these Apple OEM/CTO RADEON Products, adding VersaVision display rotation to them when running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger:

RADEON X850 XT (G5)

RADEON 9800 XT (G5)

RADEON 9800 Pro (G5)

RADEON 9700 Pro (G4 FW)

RADEON 9650 (G5)

RADEON 9600 XT (G5)

RADEON 9600 Pro (G5)

RADEON 9600 (eMac)

RADEON 9600 (iMac)

RADEON 9600 (G5)

RADEON 9200 (eMac)

RADEON 9200 (Mac Mini)

RADEON 9000 Pro (G4 Mirrored Door)

Mobility RADEON 9700 (PowerBook)

Mobility RADEON 9600 (PowerBook)

Mobility RADEON 9200 (iBook)

Mobility RADEON 9000 (PowerBook)

Although it list the Mac Mini, has anyone loaded these drivers and made sure they are compatible?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Somebody tell Kali please.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i installed them, didn't seem to do anything but put this preference pane which does nothing on my mac mini, you can click it all day long.....i even rebooted (it didn't ask for it) and for some reason it took a LONG time to reboot.

• Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Somebody tell Kali please.

You guys are late ! I already downloaded that software (version 4.5.5) two days ago and IT IS NOT the drivers. It's just a control panel to access some options.

The drivers are extremely buggy for the X850 XT and still needs to be updated.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

You guys are late ! I already downloaded that software (version 4.5.5) two days ago and IT IS NOT the drivers. It's just a control panel to access some options.

The drivers are extremely buggy for the X850 XT and still needs to be updated.

I have a 9200 PCI as a 2nd card in my DPG5.. it's buggy here too *sigh*.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Interesting, the ATI utility now reports 128mb on the window for my main monitor and also on the window for my TV... at the same time.

Before I could have sworn it said 64mb on each while in dual screen mode. This made sense since when two monitors are hooked up, the video memory is split in two with 64mb dedicated to each display.

Is this intentional and does it mean anything?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

i installed them, didn't seem to do anything but put this preference pane which does nothing on my mac mini, you can click it all day long.....i even rebooted (it didn't ask for it) and for some reason it took a LONG time to reboot.

Of course. When you install new system extensions the the system needs to configure them the first time you reboot with them. It's a unix thing. You'll be okay.

Quote:

Originally posted by sandau [/B]

Yes this is a bug from ATI. It dose not correctly identify its self in the rebuilt program links. But don't worry, You can open the control panel from the ATI Utilities folder in your Utilities folder. Applications>Utilities>ATI Utilities>ATI Displays.app

Enjoy the mini.

PS. Don't forget there is a firmware update you should install first.