Mac mini memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am planning on getting a Mac mini soon with a superdrive. I read in a review somewhere on the mini that it was overkill to get a gig of ram, and that 512 would be sufficient. I guess thats the question I'm asking. Is the processor such a bottleneck that the ram beyond 512 won't really make a difference?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    In my opinion, 512 MB in the sweet spot for memory. That said, I have 1 GB in my Powerbook and am ordering an iMac with 1 GB as well. I don't think that I will ever use more than 512 MB for what I do, but the 1 GB is nice to have. And you can definitely tell the difference with double the memory. iPhoto and other apps that were a bit slow (very usable, mind you) fly now and I have no worries when I have all my daily apps open at one time. Mac OS X manages memory really well, so get what you can afford. If the 1 GB upgrade is too expensive for you, the 512 stick will be fine. If you can afford it and are planning on keeping the system for some years to come, get the 1 GB.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gogdoggogdog Posts: 37member
    Thank you. I have 1 1/2 GB in my pc, but i use it for alot of stuff, like gaming and music recording. I saw a huge difference with that. I just wasn't sure if it would be over kill with the slower processor. I can afford it, I just did'nt want to waste my money on something I didn't need.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I use 1gb on my mini and its great.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    GodDog,

The extra memory will make a difference, but it is still a capable machine at 512MB. Perhaps you want to use it at 512 MB, and then exchange it with a gig stick at a later date?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I agree that 512 MB is the sweet spot, but you will defintiely feel the difference between 512 MB and 1 GB. This is especially the case when you're running heavy applications, like GarageBand with a lot going on, or if you have a lot of things open at the same time.

I'd get it with 512 MB, than swap it out later myself. A much better deal.

By the way, I now have a Mac mini as well (got it only a few weeks ago when they were updated), and it works great iwth 512 MB, but if I was using it more I'd take it up to 1 GB for sure.