laptop OS question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm buing a powerbook from my friend but she doesnt have the original os cds that came with it(she got it after company she worked for went out of busness). So i want to reformat the hard drive and install os 9 and 10. Are the os cds that come with the laptops special laptop OS cds. If i use store bought versions of the os's do they have all the extentions for the laptop, like battery ect.. I figure if you buy the os from the store it will work on any mac, including laptops. its a pismo 400 by the way.

sorry if this is a stupid question, i never had a laptop before

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You can use a store bought version, sure.

However, system disks that come with the laptop can only be used with that particular model. So if you have a powerbook g4 400 system disk and you want to use it on a powerbook g3 333, it will not work.

But if you buy a os9 or osx cd, you can install it on any mac.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    word, thanks
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Actually-- the "Software Install" CDs will work...it's the "Software Restore" CDs that will not work.

But you'll have no problems with store-bought, and I commend you for your integrity.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>

However, system disks that come with the laptop can only be used with that particular model. .</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's how it's supposed to be, but it's not always the case. I was able to install 9.1 from my iBook's CD on my old iMac.