Netscape Talkback--what is it and why is it on my machine?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This has now happened twice in the few months I've owned my PowerBook. While surfing the net, Netscape Talkback launches from somewhere. A black icon appears in my dock. This normally corresponds with Camino crashing.

I don't have Netscape on my machine, to my knowledge. I don't see any evidence of either Netscape Navigator or Netscape Talkback in my application folder. Why is this popping up? Is it some sort of virus? Part of Camino? Something else entirely?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    IIRC Netscape Talkbalk was used as a bug reporter whenever Netscape crashed, so when it crashed, Talkbalk fired up asking you to send information about the crash. But I didn't know that Camino used it, so I'm not sure on that.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Yes, it's part of Camino.

Because of it's ties to Mozilla, it uses some of its old parts - like the Quality Feedback Agent.

Quote:

Data is no longer sent to Netscape. Do not be fooled by the old artwork The data is sent to a Mozilla Foundation server. Quality Feedback Agent is a commercial program licensed to the Mozilla Foundation by SupportSoft (formerly Full Circle Software).

• Reply 3 of 3
    mitlovmitlov Posts: 130member
    Okay, that makes me feel a lot better. I had thought that Netscape Talkback was something else that had somehow gotten onto my computer and was causing Camino to crash. This makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for the info!