is there any way to shut off fan in PowerBook???

zozo
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
it drives me nuts!!!

Jesus christ, I almost never have a processor load of more than 20% and the fan just keeps going continuously!!! WTF?? WHY???? I went to energy saver... can't really see anything that may need tweaking...

Is this 10.4 fubar or what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

it drives me nuts!!!

Jesus christ, I almost never have a processor load of more than 20% and the fan just keeps going continuously!!! WTF?? WHY???? I went to energy saver... can't really see anything that may need tweaking...

Try resetting the firmware.

Boot holding down command-option-O-F

at prompt, type

reset-nvram

reset-all
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think it is 10.4 fubar. The fan on my PB has been acting strange since upgrading. I've also noticed my battery life appears to have dropped.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I read something a few days ago that said decreased battery life when using 10.4 is due to constant Spotlight indexing which continuously uses processing power. Let me see if I can find the article again...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

it drives me nuts!!!

Hi ZO,

Do you have a newer powerbook with a scrolling trackpad? Apparently, Apple's driver is rubbish, with an unnecessarily high CPU usage, which can effect battery life and could also (perhaps) cause your problem.

take a look at this MacOSXHints article for a bit more info and advice on an alternative. I use SideTrack myself on an older powerbook and I think it's great.

Also, try reset the power management unit. Instructions can be found here.

Lastly, you could try setting the processor performance to "Automatic" in the "options" tab of the energy saver preference pane.

Hope you get the problem sorted.