LCD displays - scaling up and down.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
From Apple's iBook homepage...

What?s more, the iBook display scales down beautifully, again with millions of colors, for special games and applications optimized for 800 by 600 or 640 by 480 pixel resolutions.

I'm assuming this is just marketing speak and that the iBook screen and all LCD displays still scale down (or up) pretty badly. Can a video card make a difference or are LCD's inheirently bad for multiple resolutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm assuming this is just marketing speak and that the iBook screen and all LCD displays still scale down (or up) pretty badly. Can a video card make a difference or are LCD's inheirently bad for multiple resolutions?

Actually, it is pretty good. My ibook 600 does a nice job of scaling up, much better than the nearest neighbor rubbish that cheaper LCDs use. I suspect that the reason is that rather than letting the screen do the scaling they use the fairly powerful scaling abilities that the video chip has.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Better than the Dell my church uses...it "scales" to 800x600, for example, by putting everything in an 800x600 box in the middle of the screen.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I think this is referring to the aspect ratio of the iBook display being 4:3. Simple scaling makes it compatible with all games, even those which don't support widescreens.