AppleSpell.service? WTF?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why the hell does the application AppleSpell.service continually try to load in my dock ? It comes back as not responding, so then I have to force quit it. I also appears as just the vanilla application icon too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Did you just try to drag its icon off the Dock? AFAIK, the Dock only displays the apps/files/folders it has been told to display. And, BTW, killing AppleSpell.service won't do you any good.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It's not in your Login Items, right?

Try moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist to the desktop, logging out and in (or typing "killall Dock" in the Terminal), and seeing if that fixes it. Also move com.apple.LaunchServices.plist to the desktop. Log out and in again.

If those don't fix it, you can move them back where they were, replacing when asked.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Nada.

I restarted... It mostly appears when I run TextEdit. It's not a fixture of the dock. It bounces and bounces and bounces...then just sits there and when I click on it in the dock it says 'Application Not Responding'.

It's not something I launch, it just appears radomly when I use the computer. I think this PowerBook is jocked. But that's a personal appraisal, using this thing some 12+ hours a day.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, it's the spellchecker, in case you didn't know.

Try fixing permissions.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Nada.

I restarted... It mostly appears when I run TextEdit. It's not a fixture of the dock. It bounces and bounces and bounces...then just sits there and when I click on it in the dock it says 'Application Not Responding'.

It's not something I launch, it just appears radomly when I use the computer. I think this PowerBook is jocked. But that's a personal appraisal, using this thing some 12+ hours a day.

Does it show up in Activity Monitor? If so, double click it and see what files it has open. Maybe that will tell us where its preferences file is.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Does it show up in Activity Monitor? If so, double click it and see what files it has open. Maybe that will tell us where its preferences file is.

Well, on my Mac it shows both in top and in Activity Monitor as it normally should. However, since its Info.plist file contains LSBackgroundOnly set to 1, the Dock and the Force Quit dialog ignore it properly.

DHagan, can you open /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Info.plist to see if it's got corrupted somehow?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I had this exact problem... it most likely happened when you update to 10.2.4. It seems there were some system files that were not updated to newer versions. You'll find that applespell.service will start anytime you use an application that uses the spell checker. For example... if you start Chat... and then open a chat window and start typing it will pop up and then stay in the dock.

I'll have to look around to see if I can find which files they were. I wasn't very familiar with the files that I was working with when I had read the recommendation from someone else... so I don't remember them off the top of my head.

You might try to google the problem and I think you'll come up with something as well.... I was able to come up with this fairly quickly...

If ?AppleSpell.service? keeps launching in the dock.

One out of the five Tiger upgrades I have done experienced this issue.

Whenever working in an application that utilizes Tiger?s spellcheck, AppleSpell.service launches in the dock.

This occurs because your AppleSpell.service is corrupt. If you are fortunate enough to have another machine running Tiger, you do have a replaceable version. You can simply copy the good file over to your machine, force quit the running version from the dock (control click > force quit) and then replace the corrupt file.

The file is located at: System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't have another computer here at my house running Tiger. When I return to work, I will try the Spell Check swap out and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for the help! The PowerBook I'm on is a real lemon...so I will blame the lemon factor for this problem!