HD editing requirements

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm getting a Sony HDV camera and am wondering if my trusty Powerbook G4 1.25 will be upto the job for HD editing, or should I get an iMac G5 2GHz (space dictates that is my only option).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Powerbook and iMovie HD will work after transcoding the MPEG2 TS stream into the native editing format.

A G5 is going to work even better of course and you could try tackling Final Cut Express or Pro.

Get a fast external drive as well.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Powerbook and iMovie HD will work after transcoding the MPEG2 TS stream into the native editing format.

A G5 is going to work even better of course and you could try tackling Final Cut Express or Pro.

Get a fast external drive as well.

Got a nice 7200rpm 200GB drive here, so that bit is sorted, I was just worried 1.25GHz would struggle.

I'm not keen on iMac G5s (hate that lower border) but at 3x the power of my 'book it's tempting while resale value would pay for it.

Hmmm...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    I am in the process of selling my 1.5 GHz G4 Powerbook and upgrading to a 2 GHz G5 iMac 20". I have no problems with the lower border.

The resale value on Powerbooks is high! I wanted the 20" screen for the research work I'm doing and having a 250 GB hard disk instead of 80 GB never hurt either now that I'm getting into digital photography a bit more.

I don't know about HD editing, but if you don't need the mobility (the primary reason I went with the iMac) and you're looking for a good machine in terms of speed/power configuration, I don't think the iMac can be beat for the price. I'm excited about my system and looking forward to receiving it early next week.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I think I've moved my Powerbook off it's desk 3 times in 18 months! I like the option though so I might get an Intel 'Book in 2 years.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You really should plan on buying a new mac to edit HD. You should get a monitor that can display HD to help in the process of editing. HD editing can be expensive but it gets cheaper all the time.