The only 5 things it can be...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
...based on the slogans, from most likely to least likely.

most:

iMac with removeable monitor to act as a tablet.

then:

"real" pocketPC, i.e. full blown X, G3 500, etc.

then:

HUGE Mhz jump, at least over 2Ghz. After all, a jump like that would be "big even by their standards."

then:

X on x86

least but collest:

sattelite broadband.

From the slogans, these are the only ones that make sense when all of them are put together.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Or it could be something nobody has really touched on yet.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>Or it could be something nobody has really touched on yet. </strong><hr></blockquote>

most likely

bye.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by GnOm:

<strong>

most likely

bye.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Awright - edit- I should 've finished reading the first post from TCU..

but,from thefollowing clues:

Countdown

Blown away

Way out

Pass to the future

Go where no PC has gone before

An article, think it's even on the Apple site talks about putting G4's in orbit, forming a worldwide wireless network.

Either it's gonna happen soon, or it's already been put in place and is ready to fire up.

hmmm. Totally wireless broadband, just for Macs. heheheh

<a href="http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/</a>;

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: zac4mac ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 14
    vikramvikram Posts: 18member
    Here is where Apple is so boldly going:

There will be TWO main announcements:

1 Screens: 10-17-19-22-24". Regular and Touch sensitive. FW, GW, Airport, USB, Ethernet, and SuperDrive. All built in.

2 iPod size modules will plug into these screens. CPU module will have Processor, Memory and HD, FW/GW, Head Phone.

Thats it.

Use your imagination and mix and match.

I will have myCPU and 10" in my pocket all the time. At home a 19" screen and at my studio 24".

Widely available peripherals will have FW connectivity.

All I will need to transport is myCPU module in my pocket plugged into my 10" screen.

Beautiful, minimalist, simple.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Vikram:

<strong>Here is where Apple is so boldly going:

2 iPod size modules will plug into these screens. CPU module will have Processor, Memory and HD, FW/GW, Head Phone.

Thats it.

I will have myCPU and 10" in my pocket all the time. At home a 19" screen and at my studio 24".

All I will need to transport is myCPU module in my pocket plugged into my 10" screen.

Beautiful, minimalist, simple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Macworld published a story about this back in 1994 or 95 or so, and I have been arguing for it for years, as loudly as vehemently as Fran fights to get his Newton 3000. That said, there is no way on Earth Apple will do this, I'm afraid. Think about the hit they'd take on their bottom line: you'd really never need to upgrade your computer ever again. Just keep getting new processors, etc. ad infinum. Eventually you'd want a bigger screen; otherwise you'd just keep sticking in new components.

For purely economical reasons, then, this will never happen.

[EDIT: Damn English grammar rules. ]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: BlueGecko ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member

<strong>Here is where Apple is so boldly going:

1 Screens: 10-17-19-22-24". Regular and Touch sensitive. FW, GW, Airport, USB, Ethernet, and SuperDrive. All built in.

Thats it.

Beautiful, minimalist, simple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 8 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>

...and 10" in my pocket all the time. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you wish
  • Reply 9 of 14
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by zac4mac:

<strong>Awright - edit- I should 've finished reading the first post from TCU..

but,from thefollowing clues:

Countdown

Blown away

Way out

Pass to the future

Go where no PC has gone before

An article, think it's even on the Apple site talks about putting G4's in orbit, forming a worldwide wireless network.

Either it's gonna happen soon, or it's already been put in place and is ready to fire up.

hmmm. Totally wireless broadband, just for Macs. heheheh

<a href="http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/</a>;

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: zac4mac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

The latency on satellite networks is horrible. It's fine if you're not doing things that require realtime transmissions, but people can't play games effectively or videoconference.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kagekage Posts: 3member
    I think it is a tablet-type device. Here's why:

The Gigawire Trademark deals with wireless transmission. Since they already have Airport 802.11b this would suggest using the 802.11a or 802.11g standard. I put my money on Gigawire being the former.

Apple wasn't able to really take advantage of wireless when it could. Heck, it's been called Wi-Fi lately, a hijacking by the Wintel crowd. But combine the upcoming wireless protocols with a tablet and you might be able to make hay.

The alleged order for 100,000 flat screens per month. Is it possible that Apple sells 100,000 iMacs a month? I don't think so. But if they split these screens between *two* devices they could all be used. I also don't recall the Stanley-Morgan report saying what size the screens were. I don't think Apple could keep all iMacs LCD given the costs involved.

The Apple teasers

"Way beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond."

Have the rumor sites speculated on a tablet type device lately?

"It's Like a backstage pass to the future" and "Where no PC has gone before". I think these are both alluding to Star Trek, and not the old MacOS on Intel codename. No, I think it is referring to both the cool factor of technology and a tricorder-type device. Remember in many episodes of the post-Classic series they show people toting around a piece of plastic that acts as a portable computer/viewscreen? Its more like a remote viewing device rather than a computational one.

The moving of the keynote. Bill Gates is expected to show off an example of the MS-designed TabletPC (tm) on Tuesday's CES show. What if Jobs got wind of it and wanted to one-up Bill? He tried to do the same thing with the i-Pod just days before the XP release. Make the keynote on Monday and there you go.

The Digital Hub

Walk around with a small tablet type device and view DVDs from your Mac with wireless. 802.11b can't do this, but 802.11a can. It also would provide incentive to buy a Mac. Synch with some contact software (it needs to be primarily a passive device - a remote viewscreen) and you can actually use it as a notebook (in the old fashioned sense)

What if it is True?

While such a device sounds cool I think if it was to come out it would flop. Why?

1. Tablet PCs and small appliances have been flopping the past few years.

2. MS is pushing hardware makers into their version of the Tablet PC. Under MS's vision they would control development of the hardware and software. MS has the economic and industrial clout to do this. Apple does not. I'm sceptical that Apple could compete with MS in this arena. To compete they'd need to get Wintel owners on board and I don't think MS will allow that. The Tablet PC initiative is very important to MS, too important to let Apple get in.

3. Niche market. Apple margins would preclude a lot of people from buying. The i-Pod is a great value, but $400 is a lot of money now. Without Windows compatibility they are limiting their market considerably (I know about XPlay). People who could take advantage of this would be a small segment within the Mac market.

These are my thoughts. I'd like to hear the errors I have made.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I am just praying for the worldwide broadband. I would take that over ANYTHING listed on this forum, but that is just me.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I posted this a few hours ago in the macobserver forums:

[quote]

OK This is my crazy idea. I have been lurking alot in various forums trying to make sense of it all, but after seeing todays Apple.com "teaser" I think this is a possibility:

Last year I saw this link <a href="http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/index2.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/index2.html</a>;

I dunno if it was actually launched in Oct. 2001 if it launched at all. But imagine it has worked. iTools has been buggy for a few months. Orders LCD screens for iBooks are huge. Airport got upgraded (HW/SW).

What if Steve announces free global internet services through iTools for every Airport equipped Mac? I would think that's going where no PC has ever gone.

What do you think?

<hr></blockquote>

Also they could unveil a small 18" dish, similar to DSS, to provide the broadband and use AirPort for wireless networking.

I read the skycorp page and it asked for beta testers from Nov. 1 to Nov. 30, so aparently they did launch the sat.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    How about 5 Gs?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    My Predictions:

1. iMac stays as is for only one model to be sold as an inexpensive internet appliance.

2. New 15in LCD iMac using a glass covered LCD to make the screen safer for use in schools. Prices start at $999.

3. The big, secret news-OSX ported for use in wintels.

All I really want to come true is the new iMac at no more than $999 to start.................................