College Football 2005

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So we are a week away from the most exciting time of year. How does your team look going in to the season? My Wolverines are back this year with a strong squad. They have some holes to fill, but being the machine that Michigan football is, holes are replaced with top quality talent. I am thinking Michigan will go 9-2, with possible losses at Wisconsin and Iowa.

Anyway, lets hear about your team...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    i'm with you, this is my favorite time of year.

i just got my season tickets, so the first kickoff can't come soon enough. as far as my sooners are concerned, most everyone has us pegged for a down year with all the talent we lost to the nfl, but strangely enough, i'm not all that concerned. in fact, i'm kind of glad the spotlight is off of us at the moment, especially after that nightmare that was the orange bowl. i think we could be better over all than last years team.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Whoever has OU pegged for a down year is an idiot. OU has outrecruited just about every not named "USC" for the last 3 years.

Paul Thompson will add a lot more run threat from the QB spot than Jason White and, unfortunately, Adrian Peterson is still alive and breathing. You poor unfortunate Sooners with your nationally-heralded coaches and your top-flight recruiting classes.

OU will beat UT, win the BigXII and get raped by USC again in the Rose Bowl (last year's raping is the ONLY reason anyone has anything negative to say about OU, whether they admit it or not).

UT, meanwhile, will finish second the BigXII and beat Iowa (Big 10/11 champ) in the Fiesta Bowl.

I'll be happy with another BCS win for UT. We just have to keep everything up and hope OU shows weakness early in the season.

We have beaucoup talent, but it could all fall apart with a flash if Vince goes down. We have a 5th-year senior with very little playing time and a true freshman behind him and that's it.

Also, we lost the #4 pick in the draft at RB (Benson) and, in my opinion, the best college football player of last year (Derrick Johnson). You don't just move on from that like nothing has happened.

On the optimistic side, Vince Young is a freak of nature and both our offensive and defensive lines are stacked with talent, depth and experience.

We'll see, but I'm not one of the UT fans who thinks we're a shoo-in to the BCS. I think we'll get there, but it will probably be ugly.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Hopefully Cal will put the smackdown on USC this year, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    emcemc Posts: 27member
    to the tune of Glory, Glory Hallelujah

Don't send my boy to MIT

The dying mother said,

Don't send my boy to Emory

I'd rather see him dead,

But send my boy to Georgia Tech

'Tis better than Cornell.

And as for the University of Georgia

I'd rather see him in hell!

chorus

To Hell, to Hell, to Hell with Georgia,

The cesspool of the South!

Mine eyes have seen the glory

Of the stomping of the Dogs

We will teach the poor dumb farmboys

They should stick to sloppin' hogs

When the Jackets are triumphant

There will be a mighty cheer

We'll do the same next year!

On the Field between the hedges

There arose a mighty stench,

In the Dogs' machine the engineers

Had thrown a monkey wrench.

When the Jackets are triumphant

We will raise a mighty yell,

Them Dogs can GO TO HELL!!

Mine eyes have seen the glory

Of the N.C. Double-A

They're investigating GA players

To see how much they're paid

After counting all the cars

And the loans Alumni made,

They out pay F.S.U. SUCKS!!!!

I FREAKING LOVE GOING TO GAMES!!!!! There is nothing better than 55,000 fans singing this as the opposing band tries to play their fight song.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    GO BUCKEYES

TED GINN JR FOR HEISMAN
  • Reply 6 of 62
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Penn State! <-- Okay I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. But we beat the women's colleges and division III schools every time.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Looking forward to another fun season. That is, at least until Michigan proves that they can't stop a running QB for the 8th straight season and winds up finishing with 3 losses again for like the zillionth time in the last zillion and one seasons. Well, OK, this would be the 6th time in the last 8 years with 3 losses if it happens. I figure Iowa, maybe MSU and probably the bowl game for losses. We're rated too high anyway at #4, should be more like #11. Looking forward to getting revenge on Notre Dame and OSU who I happen to think is also overrated. I like Iowa or Purdue to win the Big 10 with Iowa being my pick.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    i take back anything positive that I might have said above. we suck right now. i'm not going to write the season off yet due to the amount of talent on the team, but a 7 to 8 win season is not out of the realm of possibility. bummer. groover, if you were ever to buy tickets for the october match-up, this would be the year.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Stoops has far too much talent at his disposal to lose to a team like TCU. Coach Jesus needs to take a serious look into how he prepares his team. Not that I don't enjoy every OU loss, but that was embarrassing for the BigXII.

UT coasted in week 1 versus ULaLa. We'll see what happens next week against Ohio State.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Texas stays strong at #2, has 4 first place votes.

Oklahoma drops to #18.

Texas A&M drops out of the Top 25.

Things are setting up nicely for a #2 Texas @ #4 Ohio State this Saturday.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    All I have to say is....

GO HOKIES!!!!! Ready to rock another year in the ACC. God I love that school.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    The no. 8 ranked Iowa Hawkeyes played the unranked Iowa State University Cyclones today. Every year the state of Iowa is divided as this is one of the biggest games in football for Iowa. After winning the famous "Cy-hawk" game a few years in a row and being very high in the rankings again this year they were projected to have a blow out win against the Cyclones this year.

But the ISU CYCLONES beat the Hawkeyes 23-3.

how 'bout them hawkeyes

This is to celebrate the Cy-hawk trophy being handed back over to the Cyclones of Iowa State University.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    go cyclones. we don't even need to play another game this year, cause we just won the only one that matters.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    As a Big Ten partisan, I can tell all of you that the conference sucks with today's losses.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    I thought OSU actually looked better than I expected. I wasnt completely sold on them. They were getting a lot of hype coming into the year but they were arguably about the 5th best team in the conference last year and nothing special at 8-4. Zwick is blech and Smith is a good runner but has a lot of work to do to be a decent passer. OVerall they looked solid and held up reasonably well against a Texas team that might be the best team in the country not named USC. Ginn gets too much hype and Santonio Holmes too little. Ginn is obviously freaky fast but he's not really all that much of a football player and for a guy who had little production last year aside from the MSU game he sure was being annointed the Next Big Thing. Holmes on the other hand is a polished receiver and an excellent player, probably All-American caliber.

Michigan looked like total shit. Notre Dame looked OK but really that one was on M for an uninspired mistaken ridden performance. I knew they were overrated at #3 but they looked more like a #25 team than a #12 team which is what I htought that they were.

Didn't see the game but I have to imagine that Iowa looked like shit as well given that they lost to a mediocre ISU team which seems to own them. Doesn't help that they lost their QB.

Big 10 is debateably the best conference top to bottom as there are perhaps 7 or so top 25 teams, early to tell but possible. But doesn't look to have a true top 5 team unless OSU's QB play improves.

If Oklahoma can't complete a forward pass then they are at risk for a really bad season, like 7-5 instead of the 10-2/9-3 that I thought they could be headed for. I really can't figure out how Texas could possibly lose to them (aside from Young getting hurt) after watching both teams but given recent history you still have to wonder until it happens.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    LSU
  • Reply 17 of 62
    UND vs Michigan

Rush Yards 104 - 114

Pass Yards 140 - 223

Total Offense 244 - 337

Michigan's defense dominated this game, particularly in the second half allowing only a field goal. When your offense goes 0-3 in the red zone, coming out with only 3 points its nearly impossible to win. Chad Henne made some of the worst decisions I've ever seen him make, and Terry Malone some of the worst play calls. The defense gave the offense every opportunity to win that game and they let it slip like a touchdown pass through Steve Breaston's fingers. It seems the offense may be our biggest fear this season after all.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    What a day. USC's victory wasn't unexpected, but it seems Oklahoma is already out of the national championship race. And that's certainly surprising with only three games played.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, they tried there best to give it away in the 4th, but I highly enjoyed watching MSU beat Notre Dame.

Notre Dame fans would have been insufferable if they'd come back to win that one.

Ahhh, Notre Dame, always a pleasure to watch them loose
  • Reply 20 of 62
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Ahhh, Notre Dame, always a pleasure to watch them loose

That's one thing we can agree on (misspelling aside).