Tips for making my mac a little quicker...?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 1.42GHz Mac mini with 512MB RAM, and it seems a little sluggish, locking up for a couple of seconds occasionally when opening folders, freezing for a few seconds when playing back AVI in VLC etc. I can't really afford the 1GB RAM (probably should have got it when i bought the mini), so are there any other tips for making my mac a little zippier?

I have already turned off most of the non essential dashboard widgets, so I am now down to 7.

G

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Do you have any items set to automatically startup when you login? I would especially check for an item named "system events". I found this program hogging my cpu.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    According to the accounts control panel, the only login items are iTunesHelper, Microsoft AU Daemon and iCalAlarmScheduler, so doesn't seem to be anything too big. Thanks for the reply, any other suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Try running Activity Monitor and see what applications are using CPU time.

There is not much you can do simply. Quit all other programs when running VLC.

If you have a little money you could try using a fast, external FireWire HD. Or you could substitute a 7200 RPM HD for the stock HD.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    But as you seem to already know... RAM makes all the difference in the world with OSX. ($$ concerns are understandable.)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    This normally applies to laptops, but try it anyway. In the system preferences open Energy Saver. In the Optimization popup menu select "Better Performance".

On a laptop if this is selected instead of one of the other options it results in a significantly better Xbench score.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

This normally applies to laptops, but try it anyway. In the system preferences open Energy Saver. In the Optimization popup menu select "Better Performance".

On a laptop if this is selected instead of one of the other options it results in a significantly better Xbench score.

Used to use that on my iBook, but sadly the tab is not there for my mini. \
  • Reply 7 of 8
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I can't really afford the 1GB RAM

Start a diat, stop smoking, stop drinking, steal money
  • Reply 8 of 8
    read all three pages of this article:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/feat...ters/index.php

do as recommended