New Newton mistaken as Tablet? Any Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

now compare the treo 650 to blackberry (the newest one) sleek thin light what capabilities does the treo have over the blackberry( i think it has less resolution screen) i wish the treo was thinner had a slide out keyboard longer screen that could be portrait or landscape view. built in wifi, BT

apple could do this and do it well i'd just like to see an apple product (s) in my pocket rather than moto or nokia.

i wonder what plans both blackberry and palm have up their sleeves

I need to be able to INPUT INFORMATION ON THE GO, AWAY FROM MY COMPUTER. Not yelling at anyone, just frustrated. Why?

July 18 I purchased a Tungsten T5. Yesterday I lost all my Documents to Go documents on it and today, it won't turn on. The warranty is over of course.

My wife's Zire 72 can't/won't get out of the search window.

My daughter's Zire 31 won't turn on.

My youngest daughter's Zire 72 is still working.

That's a 75% failure rate.

I'm beyond pissed. I had hoped to introduce my kids to handheld computing and to coordinate our family schedules in a cool sort of way. I think that we're going back to paper calendars. iCal is nice, but IT'S ON THE COMPUTER! Even if I were to purchase iPods, we wouldn't be able to input new information on the go.

Apple, where are you?!!!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 22 of 57
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My Newton 2000 still works...
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

My Newton 2000 still works...

So does mine. Goddam, but that thing is beautiful. Every now and then, when I'm feeling exceptionally, euphorically great, in order to restore balance, I'll take my Newton 2000 out and write in it, and generally Newton around with it. When I remember that it's a dead platform, I take out the batteries and put it away and go to sleep.

V/Quietly,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 24 of 57
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *sigh* Yeah.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*sigh* Yeah.

PM on its way.

V/R,

Obese 1B
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

I need to be able to INPUT INFORMATION ON THE GO, AWAY FROM MY COMPUTER. Not yelling at anyone, just frustrated. Why?

July 18 I purchased a Tungsten T5. Yesterday I lost all my Documents to Go documents on it and today, it won't turn on. The warranty is over of course.

My wife's Zire 72 can't/won't get out of the search window.

My daughter's Zire 31 won't turn on.

My youngest daughter's Zire 72 is still working.

That's a 75% failure rate.

I'm beyond pissed. I had hoped to introduce my kids to handheld computing and to coordinate our family schedules in a cool sort of way. I think that we're going back to paper calendars. iCal is nice, but IT'S ON THE COMPUTER! Even if I were to purchase iPods, we wouldn't be able to input new information on the go.

Apple, where are you?!!!

V/R,

Aries 1B

I so hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anybody here has heard my ranting in other forums (like the one about the ROKR), then you know what I want. But basically, it is exactly what you are talking about with a coupe of add ons.

Here is what I want from an Apple Tablet/phone/what ever it is:

1) perfect out of the box sync capabilities with any (or most) devices

2) ability to install programs/applications and transfer my docs and my "stuff" (pics, music , video (i'm NOT asking too much) to that device

3) Be able to share the calendars/to do lists, and PIM features with anyone

4) connect thru wifi and talk with such apps as skype (and maybe video conference thru iChat AV???)

5) Cell phone built in running GSM 3G

6) A cookie

As far as I see it, M$ has all of these features covered with the "SMART" phones...(maybe not #4), but there is skype for pocket pc. If Apple wants to seriously play with M$, they really need to get on the ball here.

Also, something for the living room from Apple wouldn't hurt

I'm hoping that these things come out by the time Leopard is out - if they're not, I won't be able to get my gf to switch!!!

Comon APPPPPPLLEEE COMPUTER CORP!!!!

Soory for the rant, just had to let it out...
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by alexluft

I so hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anybody here has heard my ranting in other forums (like the one about the ROKR), then you know what I want. But basically, it is exactly what you are talking about with a coupe of add ons.

Here is what I want from an Apple Tablet/phone/what ever it is:

1) perfect out of the box sync capabilities with any (or most) devices

2) ability to install programs/applications and transfer my docs and my "stuff" (pics, music , video (i'm NOT asking too much) to that device

3) Be able to share the calendars/to do lists, and PIM features with anyone

4) connect thru wifi and talk with such apps as skype (and maybe video conference thru iChat AV???)

5) Cell phone built in running GSM 3G

6) A cookie

As far as I see it, M$ has all of these features covered with the "SMART" phones...(maybe not #4), but there is skype for pocket pc. If Apple wants to seriously play with M$, they really need to get on the ball here.

Also, something for the living room from Apple wouldn't hurt

I'm hoping that these things come out by the time Leopard is out - if they're not, I won't be able to get my gf to switch!!!

Comon APPPPPPLLEEE COMPUTER CORP!!!!

Soory for the rant, just had to let it out...

Picture this:

You're giddy, carrying your new i****. Passersby look at you with admiration for carrying the latest Apple Technology . On your ear, an unobtrusive one piece bluetooth ear-mounted telephone.

Suddenly, the i**** cellphone circuitry picks up a phone call. As you walk down the street, you have a pleasant conversation transmitted through your Apple i**** bluetoothed to your ear phone.

You then go to class, take notes on your i****, store and catalog them for easy retrieval later (the material to be memorized you load into iFlash where it is converted to flashcards).

Off you go to Starbucks. You set your Refreshing Beverage down, pull up the eText Book and examine your notes, cross-referencing with your new notes.

Later that term, you iChat wth your parents as they congratulate you on your ACED Mid-Terms and wish you luck on your Finals. Luck, you tell them, has nothing to do with it; you have an Apple i****.

Years later, you realize that your course that you ACED had some data that could help you score Major Promotion Points in your job. You pull those notes up, your synapses connect, and you are made department head.

Your co-workers wonder how you do it. Afterall, they've got Windows Tablets and PDAs. How, oh how could you possibly be rising up The Ladder? Afterall, You're a Pen-Computing Mac Person.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 28 of 57
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Just read this thread. Had to dust off the old 2100 and answer a couple of mails.

So old tech, so limited specs, so small software footprint, so amazing possibilities.

Sigh...
  • Reply 29 of 57
    PalmOS just died in essence, and the next Treo runs Windows Mobile. Apple really could step in with an XScale based device here.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

Picture this:

You're giddy, carrying your new i****. Passersby look at you with admiration for carrying the latest Apple Technology . On your ear, an unobtrusive one piece bluetooth ear-mounted telephone.

Suddenly, the i**** cellphone circuitry picks up a phone call. As you walk down the street, you have a pleasant conversation transmitted through your Apple i**** bluetoothed to your ear phone.

You then go to class, take notes on your i****, store and catalog them for easy retrieval later (the material to be memorized you load into iFlash where it is converted to flashcards).

Off you go to Starbucks. You set your Refreshing Beverage down, pull up the eText Book and examine your notes, cross-referencing with your new notes.

Later that term, you iChat wth your parents as they congratulate you on your ACED Mid-Terms and wish you luck on your Finals. Luck, you tell them, has nothing to do with it; you have an Apple i****.

Years later, you realize that your course that you ACED had some data that could help you score Major Promotion Points in your job. You pull those notes up, your synapses connect, and you are made department head.

Your co-workers wonder how you do it. Afterall, they've got Windows Tablets and PDAs. How, oh how could you possibly be rising up The Ladder? Afterall, You're a Pen-Computing Mac Person.

V/R,

Aries 1B

Heyyy great story... I would add the calendaring and scheduling- something in the context of:

- After you finished reviewing the notes and cross-examining them with your textbook, you looked at your schedule for that day. You still have to work out, take a mid-day nap, and read the psychology eText book for tomorrow's lecture.

Now I hope Apple employees are reading this and getting some ideas on how to make this come true, because I surely am.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Ok, add to that a gps chipset and the ability to navigate around an unfamiliar city and you have a hit.

I often find myself lost when in a foreign city. GPS and google maps would be really helpful in London.

And yes my little original newton was a thing of beauty. Way ahead of its time.

sigh.

I am back to paper my ipaq died, my wifes ipaq died 100% failure rate.

Newton still boots and works.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Just read this thread. Had to dust off the old 2100 and answer a couple of mails.

So old tech, so limited specs, so small software footprint, so amazing possibilities.

Sigh...

Indeed.

V/R,

Ariel 1B
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

Heyyy great story... I would add the calendaring and scheduling- something in the context of:

- After you finished reviewing the notes and cross-examining them with your textbook, you looked at your schedule for that day. You still have to work out, take a mid-day nap, and read the psychology eText book for tomorrow's lecture.

Now I hope Apple employees are reading this and getting some ideas on how to make this come true, because I surely am.

There have been, right here in AppleInsider, threads and threads and threads about Newton Successors. The number of possible uses detailed here is staggering. The artwork that has been posted through the years has been (in the great majority) breathtakingly beautiful.

Fran441, Kormac 7_ and a host of others posted some really interesting thoughts on this very subject.

I've mostly whined through the years.

The Apple Mac Pen Computing Thing has been impending for nearly a decade.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

Here's an additional requirement for an Apple Tablet/PDA/iPhone.

But it doesn't have iTunes...

Treo 650: The Leading Edge of Handheld Computing R/Evolution.

Yours in Envy,

Aries 1B

That entire line are junk. The rate at which they outdate their products add to their label as being junk.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Sorry to somewhat veer off topic, but I have a question/thought for anyone who expects Apple to deliver on the PDA/Tablet/whatever was discussed ealier in the thread:

What kind of organization tools do you think Steve Jobs uses? (including pda/phone/computer app). I mean he must use something (Apple software hopefully) and it must work flawlessly, being the control freak that he has been said to be.

So what does everyone think?
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

That entire line are junk. The rate at which they outdate their products add to their label as being junk.

When they work, they're great. My Palm III kept me on time and let me take notes that I could search; far better than a paper organizer.

My T5 has / had a beautiful screen. I often thought scanning spreadsheets in landscape mode that it was almost like the Newton might have been, albeit, years ago.

And I'm old enough to be astonished that you canget a digital camera into a PDA like the Zire 72 or 71.

I'm still sorely tempted to purchase a Treo 650 ... after I get my T5, Z72 and Z71 fixed or replaced.

WTF ever happened to Reliability Engineering? Does anyone remember MTBF? WTF happened to MTBF?

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

Sorry to somewhat veer off topic, but I have a question/thought for anyone who expects Apple to deliver on the PDA/Tablet/whatever was discussed ealier in the thread:

What kind of organization tools do you think Steve Jobs uses? (including pda/phone/computer app). I mean he must use something (Apple software hopefully) and it must work flawlessly, being the control freak that he has been said to be.

He had his own personal presentation software that became Keynote. I imagine that he's probably got Apple PDA and Apple Tablet Prototypes scattered 'round the office. Further, he regularly visits AI, looks in at the Apple PDA and Apple Tablet threads, and laughs.

It's good to be King.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 38 of 57
    is Patent 6,941,516 for a Movie Exporter.

V/Confused,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 39 of 57
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    he probably wrote the damn software himself.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

I think the organisation tool that Steve Jobs uses is much older and low tech than you think: an analoge personal assistent that breaths: a secretary. Much more practicall in his situation because he don't have to learn how to use it, It has to learn how to be used.