Overall OS X trouble

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I think it all started when:

I was downloading the latest Mac OS X Server update (I hadn't used my computer for a while). I had moved my comp to my new room, where reception to the WiFi base is spotty. So it kind of sputters out, and I think the downloads were corrupted. It still asks me to reboot though, and I do.

I type in my username and password, and it shows my desktop background, and then hangs. The hard drive is making a very distinct chirp-chirp-grind repeating sound.

So, I restart. Same thing happens a few times. I let it hang for two or so minutes each time.

I boot from the Tiger installation disk, my intentions to just install the regular OS X again. When I get to the "choose a volume to install on" screen, my HD is greyed out. It says that "some volumes are unavailable until this process completes" or something. I give it five minutes. Nada. I open Disk Utility. I click on the HD. It hangs for a little while, and then works. I click Repair Disk. It crunches for a little while, and then has a bunch of red errors, the final one being that the subprocess failed. I reboot, come back to Disk Utility. I try Repair Permissions. It starts, but no text appears for five minutes. I press Stop. The whole thing locks up and starts ticking. Even the Stop button stays blue.

I try booting from the HD again. This time, I wait five minutes and the desktop and menubar and dock and icons come up. Yay, I think. Then it hard freezes when I try to repair permissions. Reboot. Hard freezes when I try to go to a website. Reboot. Hard freezes while opening Adium. Reboot. Hard freezes while checking software update.

So basically, it's pretty temperamental right now. I'd rather not format.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think it all started when:

I was downloading the latest Mac OS X Server update (I hadn't used my computer for a while). I had moved my comp to my new room, where reception to the WiFi base is spotty. So it kind of sputters out, and I think the downloads were corrupted. It still asks me to reboot though, and I do.

I type in my username and password, and it shows my desktop background, and then hangs. The hard drive is making a very distinct chirp-chirp-grind repeating sound.

So, I restart. Same thing happens a few times. I let it hang for two or so minutes each time.

I boot from the Tiger installation disk, my intentions to just install the regular OS X again. When I get to the "choose a volume to install on" screen, my HD is greyed out. It says that "some volumes are unavailable until this process completes" or something. I give it five minutes. Nada. I open Disk Utility. I click on the HD. It hangs for a little while, and then works. I click Repair Disk. It crunches for a little while, and then has a bunch of red errors, the final one being that the subprocess failed. I reboot, come back to Disk Utility. I try Repair Permissions. It starts, but no text appears for five minutes. I press Stop. The whole thing locks up and starts ticking. Even the Stop button stays blue.

I try booting from the HD again. This time, I wait five minutes and the desktop and menubar and dock and icons come up. Yay, I think. Then it hard freezes when I try to repair permissions. Reboot. Hard freezes when I try to go to a website. Reboot. Hard freezes while opening Adium. Reboot. Hard freezes while checking software update.

So basically, it's pretty temperamental right now. I'd rather not format.

Any suggestions?

What you are describing may presage a massive hard driver failure. You need to stop playing around and run a disk repair utility at the very least. If your data is important to you, it is a really good idea to get your computer to your favorite technician for data recovery and hard drive replacement.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Were you installing the server update over a client installation?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MASSIVE HARD DRIVE FAILURE is right. Chirping is characteristic of almost-dead drives. If you wanna live on the wild side and use it for a little while longer, go to Disk Utility and check the S.M.A.R.T. status to verify this. Either way, your best bet is to take it in to have it backed up professionally before ditching it for a new one. Kinda sucks, but it happens (three times to me ).