Waiting For Numbers!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, when do you think we will see Numbers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I had to read your somewhat cryptic post a few times before i realized you are talking about Apple's supposed spreadsheet.

My guess is in January. Apple needs to beef up iWork to boost sales (which has fallen). Personally, i think iWork should be like iLife, free but you pay for upgrade. That is the only way they will take M$ market-share.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Yep, I would expect it no sooner than at MWSF in January as part of iWork '06. Keynote, Pages (hopefully much improved) and Numbers.

Regarding the sales problem, I agree that they need to make it free on all new Macs to combat Microsoft's Office monopoly. The only way people are going to switch to something else is if it's truly better and more accessible.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    Numbers will be added to the iWork suite in the MWSF'06 and Philip Schiller is going to do the demo by steve's request...

I think the next apple events will be focus on applications, both iApps and ProApps, and in the iPod, but there always the change for ".... one more thing!" =)

what new proApps do you think apple will introduce within a year? what iApps?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Numbers is certainly coming. Just like Keynote and Pages were originally NeXT apps...so is Number.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Numbers is certainly coming. Just like Keynote and Pages were originally NeXT apps...so is Number.

This isn't strictly true.

Keynote resembles an application by Lighthouse Design called "Concurrence". But it is almost certainly a completely new code base.

Pages isn't really similar to any particulare application for NeXT that I remember. I think Lighthouse Design was rumored to be working on a word processing-like application, though I don't recall it ever being released.

( as an aside, OmniGraffle is basically a revamp of "Diagram!" by Lighthouse Design...plus plus )

If Numbers is anything like the two (yes, two) spreadsheets for NeXT that were quite innovative (Lotus Improv and Quantrix by...again...Lighthouse Design), it will look a lot like this: http://www.materialarts.com/FlexiSheet/index.html. It certainly would be Apple's style anyway.

I hope we see it too. And some improvements to Pages as well.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Numbers will have to truly grand to shake me away from Excel.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Either Improv or Quantrix would do it.

It's seriously a case of once you see what a spreadsheet *should* be, you wonder how in the *HELL* Excel ever survived as long as it did. It's perhaps the most brain-dead and least interesting app of the entire Office suite.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It's seriously a case of once you see what a spreadsheet *should* be, you wonder how in the *HELL* Excel ever survived as long as it did. It's perhaps the most brain-dead and least interesting app of the entire Office suite.

Of course that won't stop people that have their Excel-ways ingrained in their head from saying Improv, Quantrix or Numbers is garbage.

I'm afraid Word and Excel have done irreparable damage to some people. They have trouble or are too lazy to learn a different (possibly more efficient) method of doing things.

Pages is too different from Word. Some people just can't stand Pages because it isn't an Aquafied Word.

The same will happen with Numbers.

Oh well...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Is there anything currently available for OS X that is comparable to Improv or Quantrix? Would FlexiSheet be closest?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    How about Quantrix?

• Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by cesar

what new proApps do you think apple will introduce within a year? what iApps?

I think iLife will get a new application that will play visual content (i.e. music videos from iTunes, slideshows/QuickTime video from iPhoto, iMovie/iDVD projects), but will also have the ability to play purchased DVDs and iDVD projects saved as disk images. DVD Player will no longer be needed with this app in the iLife suite.

In addition to a spreadsheet application getting included in iWork there will also be a database application. Whether Apple creates their own database or creates a GUI front-end to another database (SQLite?) it better be a true relational database and not a flat file database. I do not want the database to be an aquafied version of Access, but I do want the same type of functionality. Being able to export/save as a stand-alone application that I can drag into the Application folder will be icing on the cake.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Whether Apple creates their own database or creates a GUI front-end to another database (SQLite?) it better be a true relational database and not a flat file database. I do not want the database to be an aquafied version of Access, but I do want the same type of functionality.

I always thought they would do it with mysql. Seeing as how they already ship OSX with a pre-defined mysql userid.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Yes, especially since SQLite is intended to be used embedded inside an app, ala Spotlight.

They could go either way, and it may come down to licensing, but my money would be on SQL.

"A full SQL server/client solution for $50." Kinda makes Access look weak, no?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Numbers only needs to be a competent spreadsheet program. All Appleworks junkie like me want is a good replacement for what we're using now and Apple won't want to take on the Redmond juggernaut just yet.

With regard to the database, Filemaker Pro is the No. 2 database in the world. Apple just put a Filemaker 8 ad on its front page. The database will be based on Filemaker in some form. If Apple's iWork team plays it smart, they'll find some way to encourage iWork users to pony up for an upgrade to the full version.