iMac 233 RevA Ram

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok

i am trying to upgrade an old imac rev A to run OSX, to do this i need to have at least 128mb ram. How much can the imac take in total (in both slots) because i am getting lots of different numbers from different places, apple says 128 but another place says 384?!? so i would really like to hear from anyone who has done this.

thanks in advance

stu

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    iThink that the revA iMac uses so-dimms/ notebook memory PC66. iBet you could use up to pc133 ram in there and it would work fine.and if thats the case you could put plenty of ram in it. But then it has been a long time since iMessed with a revA.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Crucial.com 's memory configurator says it takes a maximum of 512MB and here is the page with the possible chips:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...3%29&submit=Go
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I had an iMac rev.a 233Mhz. Still got the motherboard, processor and ram lying somewhere, even the extra video ram dimm. It has two slots and can definitely house more than 128MB of RAM as mine had the original 32MB with another 128MB installed, making 160MB of 66Mhz Ram in total.

Magic finger and Luncy are both correct. The maximum is 512MB, and it uses laptop sized 66mhz dimms. Both the top and bottom slots are the same size and specification. Looking at the processor card, I now remember why Apple stated that the max was lower than 512MB. One of the slots is on the top of the processor card, however the second slot is underneath the processor card, which means in order to install more Ram you have to lift the processor card from the motherboard, which isn't exactly straightforward for the non tech savvy.

Here are some pics of the top and bottom of the CPU card (sorry for the images being a bit blurry).

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

iThink that the revA iMac uses so-dimms/ notebook memory PC66. iBet you could use up to pc133 ram in there and it would work fine.and if thats the case you could put plenty of ram in it. But then it has been a long time since iMessed with a rev

don't buy anything faster than 66mhz, it won't take it. my imac dv+ takes pc100, and will NOT run 133, so theres no way a rev a would run up to 133. it'll probably be expensive to get the 66, but i doubt you have any choice at all
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hi

thanks for the info everyone, in that case i will probably buy a 128mb and stick it in the top slot.

Again, thanks

stu