Unable to install latest AdiumX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

I downloaded the latest version of AdiumX. When trying to drag the duck to my Applications folder I get an error message window saying "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

I am on a Mac Mini (256MB RAM) with Panther 10.3.9. I already have AdiumX installed and am trying to update it to the latest version.

I am logged in as an Admin level user and I am the only Admin level user on this machine.

A couple of days ago I had created a user account for a visiting relative (a limited account) and when he left, removed the account including all files. Could this have somehow created this problem for me?

I have not tried to install any other application to see if the problem is with my user account or with AdiumX.

Thanks in advance for your inputs and assistance

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Are you sure you aren't running adium while you are trying to overwrite it? that at least gives you some kind of error, I haven't had any problems updating adium, not with the newest or any other version
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Yes. I even restarted the whole machine (you can tell I come from a Windows world *grin*), repaired permissions and then dragged the duck, still the same error!

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Are you using a Admin Account?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Drag the original AdiumX icon to the trash, then drag the new AdiumX icon to the Applications folder (or where ever you want to put it). Then try rebooting the machine.

After rebooting, empty the trash
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks Aqua and Fullmer. Aqua, yes I am an admin account.

Fullmer, ultimately that's what I did, thank you . But before that I clicked on "get info" and found that I only had 'read-only' rights to Adium, I have no idea how that happened and I could not give myself read-write rights.

So I renamed the old AdiumX to something else (instead of deleting it, I did not know whether my settings would be carried forward) and dragged the new duck to Applications. Voila, the new Adium discovered my old settings anyway and started to work properly. At that point I dragged the old duck into the trash.

*Edited to add - Fullmer, I did not have to reboot the machine after dragging the old duck to the trash, it just worked anyway.*

Yes, the problem, is solved, thank you all, but I am still curious as to how the old Adium could have become 'read-only' and greyed out the field so that i could not change it to read-write. Any ideas?

Thanks again and cheers
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    I'm not sure how that would happen, but I've had some apps that I try to upgrade end up not letting me. My fix has always been to drag the app to the trash then drag the new app to the old location... Strange...