Quicktime Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was considering getting Quicktime Pro, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. For those of you that have it do you like it and what do you do with it? Does anybody use it to help make iMovies? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't use a lot of its extended audio features, seeing as though most of what I hear from my computer comes through it's tinny speakers (Pismo 400).

If you like being able to save QT movies directly off of sites, it's great. There's still a way to do it without Pro, but it takes a bit of trickery and digging in the page's source code.

Note: I didn't buy the license to QT Pro just because. It came with my FCP 2 package.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I find that it's great for quick & dirty projects. :eek:
  • Reply 3 of 15
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Unfortuantely there is no support for MPEG editing...or anything else MPEG for that matter.... as well as AVI....

I believe that QT4 pro was better..

Cheers

adam
  • Reply 4 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Adam11:

<strong>Unfortuantely there is no support for MPEG editing...or anything else MPEG for that matter.... as well as AVI....

I believe that QT4 pro was better..

Cheers

adam</strong><hr></blockquote>

In what ways was 4 better?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    You can import and edit an mpeg or avi file with QT 5 Pro.

I think Adam11 is talking about not being able to export a movie into mpeg format. I have always saved into QT .mov format which is better by far, so I am not sure if QT 4 provided the option to export to mpeg.

One thing is for sure, QT 5 Pro handles pretty much every file format out there for import:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/specifications.html"; target="_blank">Quicktime 5 Pro Specs</a>

:cool:
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I find QuickTime Pro to be an invaluable tool. Keep this in mind, if you find you want to import video clips into iMovie, remember that iMovie only accepts DV stream clips and the only way to convert existing clips is to use QT Pro. If you have an extra $30 to spend, you won't be disappointed. Plus there are additional tools for QT Pro that you can find for free at the Apple Developer's Website. My favorite tool is the chroma key tool where you do the blue screen effect (I use it to give my videos a letterbox effect).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Better in that it supported AVI with the indeo 5 codec, and better because it allowed you to edit mpegs..... my qt5 pro has all of the editing options greyed out for mpeg (as it does for all qt5 pro owners ). Dont get me wrong - I like QT 5, but where is the support for AVI and mpeg, vro etc etc

Cheers

Adam
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Not sure what you are on about Bill. Show me a screen cap with QT5 EDITING an mpeg (of course QT plays them)....include the edit menu so that i can see that the cut paste etc options are not greyed out. Also show me an AVI (show file info) playing in QT 5 without DVIX support in any way (and this is only a portion of the AVI file type problem only).

If you have mastered this then you will be a hero for the extensive interest for this in this and other (including apples) support forums.

Cheers

Adam
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Just to be clear... we are talking about OS X here arent we.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    I got Pro just for the ability to save movies and to present them fullscreen (I can't remember, but wasn't that feature available exclusively to QT Pro users?).
  • Reply 11 of 15
    didnt think so.

cheers

Adam
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Adam... I just saw your reply about asking for proof that QT5 Pro can edit an mpeg file. If Quicktime Player can open and play a file, you should be able to edit it (copy/cut/clear).

I just tried it again and it works.

Here are a couple of screencaps, let me know if this is what you wanted:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/billxmb/index.html"; target="_blank">links to a couple of sample screencaps I just a few minutes ago</a>

Both video files can be found at the following website (not mine, found it on google):

<a href="http://www.looniebin-of-jokes.com/video.htm"; target="_blank">silly video clips</a>

Let me know if this is what you wanted to see.

Bill M

&lt;edit: first attempt at trying to post images failed&gt;

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Bill M ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Yeah thanks Bill, but if you read the whole thread you would have seen that I am talking about QT5 pro in OS X ..... not OS 9 which your caps are from.

I know you can do it in OS 9 (as i said in my very first post you could even do it in QT4).

What is needed is a fix for OS X QT Pro.... because you cant do any of the things you have posted in OS X.

Hope we are clear.

cheers

Adam

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Adam11 ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 15

<strong>

I know you can do it in OS 9 (as i said in my very first post you could even do it in QT4).

What is needed is a fix for OS X QT Pro.... because you cant do any of the things you have posted in OS X.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, I must have skipped your post regarding OS X the first time around (I was sleepy). I will check under OS X, never tried it with the Player there.

Cheers.

Bill
  • Reply 15 of 15

<strong>Better in that it supported AVI with the indeo 5 codec</strong><hr></blockquote>

AFAIK Quicktime 5 still supports this in OS X. You just have to have the codecs in the right location in your directory (I'm not on my Mac right now so I'm not sure what that is).