broken shuffle

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I camp a lot for my job, so my shuffle gets a little beat around while I'm out there. Anyhow - it got a little more than it could handle last trip to the mountains and the USB part bent out, breaking the plastic around it. My question is this: I want a sturdy flash based Mp3 player... what would you recommend? I don't need to play WMA or AAC... just mp3. any suggestions?

Asaph

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I wouldn't classify what happened to your's as a little beat around. I've dropped a shuffle 3 stories and it has had nothing more than a small chip from the plastic so to actually break the plastic and bend the USB port you've smashed the crap out of it and I doubt there's any CE device that'd take it.

My suggestion would be just to take the time to insulate it, wrap it in a sock if that's what it takes, or locate it in a place it isn't going to be so beat around. Buy yourself a set of cargo pants, a small bag, whatever but to do what you're talking about takes some actual effort so expend a little effort and consideration in protecting it and you won't have the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    ::grins:: well, I do have cargo pants. It was in my cargo pants when it broke. It broke as I was moving a tree I had cut down, I guess when I was carrying the logs it jsut rested against it. Not really what I would call extreme abuse - I think mine just didn't feel like holding up like yours apparently did. Though maybe if I started dropping it off of three story buildings rather than leaving it in my pocket I'd have better luck. go figure.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I wouldn't classify what happened to your's as a little beat around. I've dropped a shuffle 3 stories and it has had nothing more than a small chip from the plastic so to actually break the plastic and bend the USB port you've smashed the crap out of it and I doubt there's any CE device that'd take it.

My suggestion would be just to take the time to insulate it, wrap it in a sock if that's what it takes, or locate it in a place it isn't going to be so beat around. Buy yourself a set of cargo pants, a small bag, whatever but to do what you're talking about takes some actual effort so expend a little effort and consideration in protecting it and you won't have the problem.

I think the Shuffle is one of the sturdiest on the market. I've used many flash based players but not come accross one as well made with th eexception of teh Sony possibly?

I agree get some protection!!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    My guess is you, by some miracle, managed to get the shuffle pinched then dropped the log on it and broke it like you might a stick. That said that'd require some force and I doubt there'd be any CE device that'd take it. A shorter device would reduce the risk mind you but that's assuming it wasn't just outright crushed and leverage counted for something.

Mind you I learnt a similar lesson to this once when I was working on a water plant and had my mobile in my front pocket. One open valve later and I had a very soggy phone. When you're working you really do need to consider the hazards. If you're doing work like that you need to either move it to your back pocket or use something to pad it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Risk assesment!