quick question: how do we enable Verbose Boot mode in Tiger?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
quick question: how do we enable Verbose Boot mode in Tiger?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    According to this support document from Apple's website you hold Command-V at startup.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

According to this support document from Apple's website you hold Command-V at startup.

Yes. There is a way to make Verbose mode the default as well. OnyX can do it. Dose anyone know the code to do it manually in Terminal?

I like it better then the grey apple and the flower petal spinning thingy too.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes that is what I meant, the way to enable it permanently, thanks for articulating my thoughts!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You need to set the boot-args variable to -v in the nvram. To do this, you can either boot directly into Open Firmware and change it there, or use the nvram command-line utility.

For example: sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How do you undo this? (what option is it instead of "-v")

The only reason I really want know this is because the Terminal, I assume since it used sudo, said something hilarious, some warning, like

1. We trust you know what you are doing.

2. Respect others' privacy

3. With great power comes great responsibility.

Are the Apple engineers Spiderman fans or what?? Hah I got a kick out of that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

How do you undo this? (what option is it instead of "-v")

Simply set the boot-args to an empty string.

sudo nvram boot-args=""
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks, For the info. I like the terminal but for this little Hax I will stick with using OnyX. It is Freeware, simple to use and sets it to default untill you reboot in OS 9 then you have to reset it. Thanks again King Chung Huang.