CD-RWs. Not reading after being burnt! Is there a special format/technique i need?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey all,

i've recently sold my iPod (planning to buy a larger one) and in between now and my b'day, i plan to go back 2 using a discman + CDs.

I've bought some CD-RWs, so that i can make a CD of random tunes in the morning, and take it to school with me, but it won't play on my Discman.

The packaging says that they should are 'compatible with the latest CD drives'. i assumed this meant they could play in CD players, am i wrong?

is there some particular format i should be using?

well if anyone can shed some light on this, that'd be great.

In the mean time im using a walkman and cassettes - how old skool

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I've never had any luck with CD-RWs. I once used a stack of them to backup my data when I wiped my computer. The burn process went fine, but when I went to replace my data, the CD's were unreadable. I lost everything. That experience taught me an important lesson, never use CD-RWs ever again. Regular CD-R's are cheap enough nowdays so I recommend using them instead.

As for music, I think CD-R's are definitely the way to go.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Depending on how old it is, your Discman may not be able to read RWs. Usually they hype that up and it would be marked on the lid or something. Also, are you writing the files as MP3s or CD audio? Again, only newer units can play MP3s.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    hmm.. ok, so CD-RWs suck. What about DVD-RWs? I've used them to back up my mp3 collection. It seems to have worked alright.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    CD-RWs don't suck; I use them all the time with no problems. However, you need to use them where appropriate. If you have critical data to back up, use a CD-R or DVD-R and verify the disc when done. CD-RWs and DVD-RWs are conceptually the same technology, a plastic disc with a reusable laser light sensitive film. But if anything, I would say the CD-RW is more reliable than the DVD-RW since it is an older technology and the data is less tightly crammed on the disc.